Thread: fein multitool usefulness

Blog Entries

fein multitool usefulness

It looks like Fein's patent is about to expire and bosch is going to be the first out the door with competing product.

The Bosch PS50-2A 12-Volt Max Multi-X is battery powered, cheaper and uses fein attachments.

I've been thinking about getting a fein for a while, (more for home repair use then wood working).

I'm curious is any fien owners would be willing to share their thoughts regarding this tool. Do you use it or is it collecting dust?

Any opinions from fein users would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Scott Kilroy; 09-15-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

I see the PS50-2B on Amazon for $219 shipped. And it is a 12V cordless - I am guessing these are the same batterieis that their little drills take - sounds pretty good!

i use mine all the time, undercuting door casing doing tile floors, detail sanding. i cringed at the price when i bought it about 4 yrs ago but i've used it on jobs that i could not have done it any other way. the only complaint i have and fein fixed it is the blade will come loose, they now have a different way of securing the blade. i bought some aftermarket blades on ebay that worked out to about $17 each. i think they work just as good.

Once you have used a Multitool you will wonder how you got along without it. However, the attachments are OBSCENELY expensive. That deserves to be said twice. There is a guy that makes blades to fit the Fein tool. Sells them on his website, multiblades.com. I haven't bought from him yet but I will.
    Check any website that sells Fein and look at the cost of Fein attachments. For example, a pair of 2 1/2 inch round high speed steel blades, $69.50
    If Bosch is cloning the tool, I hope they also produce attachments cheaper than Fein.
    Last edited by peter de tappan; 09-15-2008 at 1:07 PM.

Fein all the time...

That multimaster is one of the weirdest looking tools, but one of the most useful. It is most useful when remodeling when you need to make a cut, but cant get any other tool in the area to do it. Or when drywalling to cut outlets. Or when you need to cut into drywall to run a wire later. It does that precisely with the least mess. I find I keep mine out of box more than I keep in in the box.

I have the 250 watt version that cured the blade moving problem. I can't imagine that a battery powered version would perform like 250 watts.

I use it all the all the time. I don't however plan to use it but when I need it really speeds things up. It is one of thoes tools that does stuff no other tool will and you wonder how you got along without it.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter de tappan View Post
    Once you have used a Multitool you will wonder how you got along without it. However, the attachments are OBSCENELY expensive. That deserves to be said twice. There is a guy that makes blades to fit the Fein tool. Sells them on his website, multiblades.com. I haven't bought from him yet but I will.
    Check any website that sells Fein and look at the cost of Fein attachments. For example, a pair of 2 1/2 inch round high speed steel blades, $69.50
    If Bosch is cloning the tool, I hope they also produce attachments cheaper than Fein.
    Bosch has promised to release a number of blades and attachments that will be priced lower then fein's. FYI bosch is also releasing a cheaper wired version (under the dremell brand) that is not compatible with the fein or bosch versions but will sell for about $100.

Well, what is this one??? I know its a UK site but most things make their way over here.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...3839&RelType=1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    Well, what is this one??? I know its a UK site but most things make their way over here.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...3839&RelType=1
    I found the information regarding the patent on some website (don't remember which one and can't find it now) and I just repeated what I read (which I'm guessing was incorrect). I did come across this as I was searching (if anyone wants more info).

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...50+MultiX.aspx

Thumbs up

I have one, like it and would recommend it. It is great for remodeling projects and construction but in general not much uses for fine wood working, it is a specialty tool you can live without but I myself would rather live with it!
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I've had one, the same one, for years. It just goes and goes. The saw blades come in handy at times, but I mostly use if for sanding into small areas. I've used the cardboard cutter, rasp, and grout tool as well. Yes, the blades do work loose on the older models. I also have a fein vacuum which is also very excellent quality.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    I found the information regarding the patent on some website (don't remember which one and can't find it now) and I just repeated what I read (which I'm guessing was incorrect). I did come across this as I was searching (if anyone wants more info).

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...50+MultiX.aspx
    I was just wondering why that corded version shown on the UK site hasn't made it over here.

13. I asked this very question a while back
    Reason was that while the thing looks like I could put it to good use I wasn't falling for the "Replaces every single power tool" inference that I was getting from their ad.

So I wanted to know and damn if I didn't get responses exactly like this.
    I haven't got one yet. I think I'll wait till Fein has milked it as much as they can and then when the patent runs out it'll get lots cheaper.

Then for all those fussy little tight places where it's hard to sand or screwy trim needs cutting I'll have just the tool.

We put in new quartz kitchen counter tops two years ago. Last year we wanted to replace the linoleum flooring with laminate. The underlayment had to come up but I had to leave it in place under the cabinets. The Multimaster with it's offset blade made easy work of cutting through it all (hardboard, glue, staples) perfectly flush to the cabinet edges. And it cut the linoleum free from the hardboard. Since then, not an every day tool but boy when you need it. The latest model with the blade locking is a big improovement.