Thread: Help Place New Grizzly Tools

Help Place New Grizzly Tools

I just received a G0555 Bandsaw, G0490X 8" Jointer with 6.5' bed, G1021X2 15" Planer - all too heavy to be moving around. Where should I put them and in what direction to make them easy to work with? I also do not want to trip over electrical connections and dust collection hose.

In the following picture the bandsaw is in front of the router table on the left end of the table saw. The bandsaw power is dropped from a ceiling box. I left 3' between the bandsaw and the router table. I am thinking I should turn the bandsaw 180 degrees. The drops are 240v.

Any ideas or is this too vague? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jerry

I think you should put yr bandsaw on a mobile base. I have my G0555 on one and I love it. If you do that, the placement is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I think you should put yr bandsaw on a mobile base. I have my G0555 on one and I love it. If you do that, the placement is irrelevant.
    Shawn,

Which mobile base do you have for your bandsaw? I will be purchasing a 14" bandsaw (haven't decided between Grizzly G0555X and Rikon 10-325 yet) and know I will need it on a mobile base. I purchased the Rockler base (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383) on sale a while back but wonder if it will be stabile enough while moving the saw (the base has only three wheels). I think the other option is an HTC base (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11450 or http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11473) with four wheels.

Good point. I am also concerned about the jointer and the planer. The 240v drops (and dust collection) are for them. I was thinking the jointer should feed into the table saw outfeed table, but maybe the planer should feed into it instead. Then the jointer would be 90 degrees to the planer.

Duh, I dunno.

In most of the fixed place shops I have seen (which isn't mine), the planer and jointer are next to each other (the jointer backed up to the side fo the planer) such that the board comes out of the jointer ready to be feed straight into the planer.

I'm cheap.

How cheap am I? I didn't even want to spring for locking casters (a set of which costs about as much as the lowest end mobile bases).

Then I found this article. The pdf was too large to attach. If you PM me with your email address, I'll email the pdf to you.

Nice thing about this one is you can use cheap casters (load rated) and then install a screw jack to disengage the casters.

I also thought about screwing a bolt against the wheels as a brake. But you'll find that cheap casters don't provide enough friction cement to make a brake effective; your base'll still skid easy.

Truth be told, you can even get by w/o the screw jack if you use a couple of strategically placed nonskid door stops.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FYI. Hartville Tool has the best and best price on total lock casters. Peachtree has/had some on sale real cheap (~$5.50 ea, must purchase 4), so I ordered some of those. I'll report on how I think they are when they arrive.

I've often wondered about using a pair of toggle clamps to acts as stops, like this one http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19590. I wonder how well that would work?