Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tansu

Incra rails galore adorn my TS, BS, and J/P!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,
    Lots of courage to post your mistakes. Overall project seems to be taking form nicely.

Oh ya...and yes, that was a LOT of biscuits. At least it won't come apart though.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Incra rails galore adorn my TS, BS, and J/P!!
    That's nice stuff, I've pondered over it and the Kreg, but just use my stock Jet 18 fence.

To keep a board 10', a planer sled would seem to work well, certainly in your planer...that would be sweeeeeeeeet! I thought you were running a conveyor to your neighbor's house...I won't show you how I use my porta-potty planer... It would make your battleship look like an aircraft carrier! That is quite an amazing set, I must say...with the vacuum...that is a ways from your old router table setup...

I keep looking for an excuse to build on of those sleds...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Alan,

The planer sled would work fine but the problem with it is the bed is the one that adjusts...the cutterhead stays the same height. I need to rig up a faster way to adjust the support table legs were I to be dumb enough to try this again!

The planer sled would work fine but the problem with it is the bed is the one that adjusts...the cutterhead stays the same height.
    <sound of palm slapping forehead>

Forgot about that...

But why couldn't you still use a sled? A sled just provides a solid base for an uneven bottom, it is the top that gets flattened. Seems like it would still work fine.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

I kind of assumed that you brought up the sled in order to allow one to more easily surface long boards (like the 10' variety...of which if I was thinking properly, I should have never bothered trying to do for my project). The sled might assist in that situation but the sled would need support as well because I assume it would be rather long...longer than the board being surfaced....

However, recall that this is a J/P...I have the jointer for facing boards...always step 1 in milling rough stock, right?

I kind of assumed that you brought up the sled in order to allow one to more easily surface long boards (like the 10' variety...of which if I was thinking properly, I should have never bothered trying to do for my project).
    I was just thinking that a sled would be a good way to do a 10' board, wasn't thinking you shouldn't have bothered with your project...
    The sled might assist in that situation but the sled would need support as well because I assume it would be rather long...longer than the board being surfaced....
    Yes, the sled would need to be close to the length, at least.
    However, recall that this is a J/P...I have the jointer for facing boards...always step 1 in milling rough stock, right?
    Yeah, if I had your jointer I probably wouldn't mind that. I don't like to face on my jointer.

Still, trying to plane a 10' board flat could go on a long time with the wrong piece of wood. 2 x 5' is much easier for me, but I'm just saying if I wanted to keep it in one piece. Storage of the sled is one issue...if I ever need to do a 10' board, a sled will most likely be my choice as my little jointer wouldn't cut such a piece anyway...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    I was just thinking that a sled would be a good way to do a 10' board, wasn't thinking you shouldn't have bothered with your project...
    I know. I meant that I shouldn't have bothered wrestling around a 10' board. I should have cut it down right from the get go and life would have been a lot easier.

I know. I meant that I shouldn't have bothered wrestling around a 10' board. I should have cut it down right from the get go and life would have been a lot easier.
    I wouldn't really say that either. We all do what we need to do for getting a project done, and you have a solution to face plane a 10' board. That is one nice piece of walnut, I can see keeping it together.

I'll be honest, I have cut down some stock in the past and sorry I did after as I have decided to change my use of it. I have some walnut coincidentally that is 8/4 and I cut the 8' boards in half, so I have 4 sections that are about 4'. Since I changed my mind on the project I had got them for, so wish they were 8' again. Life is such...

I wasn't trying to criticize your choice, but suspect you mis-interpreted it.

Honestly, your project looks great, please don't take my comments as being disparaging, they certainly weren't meant to be.

If anything, I am always impressed to see how engineers attack a problem, I have my own way of doing things also, and have much more shop that I need for what I do. Engineers are kinda unique in the way we approach things, your shop reminds me of that which would be put together from an engineer, it is quite a setup. I would love to have your setup at my place, although I have so many machines crammed in my garage, I'm not sure how I would even get anything more into it.

On another topic, the other day I was thinking about the butcher paper rolls we had bought a few years back. I'm about half way through my roll. How about you? That stuff has been great, I tell 'ya, for glue-ups it's a life saver...even my kids have used it for some of their school projects. I still have a good amount left, about half per my estimate.
    --

The 10' plank of walnut had a knot/split at about the 4' mark and had I'd been thinking more clearly about my needs, I think I could have saved some wood by cutting at the knot/split from the get-go. Live and learn!

I saw no criticism in your posts...I was just, I think, clearing up some things.

Shoot, I want a 3-car garage and I think life would be so much nicer but oh well. Old Kanna has a 4-car and is still running out of room so maybe the size is just never big enough because we always find a way to overstuff and then moan and groan.

LOL! The butcher paper! Uh, mine is still, uh, drying, yeah, drying, and it just might be ready to use now....

Old Kanna has a 4-car and is still running out of room so maybe the size is just never big enough because we always find a way to overstuff and then moan and groan.
    Kanna's got a 4 car garage???? I'm ill...

I guess I would fill it up, but I'm trying to trim a bit and re-organize some. Everyone has a bigger garage than me... (woe is me )

I have an old Crescent 8" Jointer from about 1920, which is really cool...but just taking up space. Would be a great project for someone, it's one of the earliest jointers with a safety head. That was a big breakthrough from the square head. I was talking to a guy today that has an old Parks metal/wood bandsaw, which might be cool. Not as nice as a Yates-American snowflake, but would be nice to be able to cut metal also, and fit in the garage easier. I might be able to work a trade out with him, he stopped by to look at the jointer.

I have most of my machines on mobile bases, how about you?

I could use some Tansus to organize my garage!
    --

Chris,
    Not sure if you noticed this issue of Woodcraft magazine has a TANSU on the cover. Good article. Just got it yesterday.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I'll have to keep a lookout for that in the mail, Dewey. Cool stuff.

I got a few more things done on the bottom shelf of the Tansu. I got the veneer applied to the top. Here I show the tape up before pressing.

After pressing the top veneer, I wanted to add some filler chunks on either end. I've decided to change the connection for the front/showy support. I initially showed a mitered connection but that is going to change because it looked like a real pain since it wasn't a 45 degree cut.

Instead, I'm going to extend the veneer down to cover the ends up.

The small support panel with the walnut edging and curious groove/dado in it will aid in this. I plan to only glue the veneer to the upper, larger section. The MDF below the groove is only there to support the veneer while the upper section is pressed/glued. I will then cut away the superfluous panel to end up with a panel with rather fragile looking veneer hanging off of it! This veneer will be glued to the bottom panel once it gets installed. I surely hope this works!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also managed to get the feet installed...at least temporarily.

I picked these up from Lee Valley and I think they will work out very, very well for this project. My goal is to hide the feet and make the tansu just float a hair above the floor.

In order to adjust the legs, a hole was needed. This allows me to very easily adjust the height from above. Since baskets will live in this tansu, I hardly think the holes will be notice very much on the other side.

I think it is looking pretty good thus far! The LOML is happy with it so that means life is good!

Progressing!

Copious use of my Domino and I have the lower section nicely dry-fitted. One real cool thing about the Domino is the ability to have a solid dry fitting that doesn't easily come apart due to how snug the dominos fit in their mortises.

These baskets really go well with the walnut!