Thread: One too many Worm holes

One too many Worm holes

Hey Gang,
    This one had just one too many worm holes to stay together, but was a little challenging, so I went ahead and finished it. My question is, do you dig out your worm holes or leave in the worm tracks? Of course some of them loosen and come out during turning, but some although loose, some stay in, even through finishing. This one had some big ones in some critical places and I was not able to save it. Had it only had the large hole near and into the rim, it might have been salvageable, but too much of the collar came off while I was turning off the tenon. It is spalted Sycamore with some mighty big worm holes. Its now a scrap pile learning experience, but still was fun to turn. You can see there are several worm holes that I left intact.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken - that would have been a really nice looking vase! Beautiful wood - just to bad it blew up on you! I've had a few pieces with worm holes and I like to clean everything up when I can - it's not a hole unless folks can see air! Some folks like the natural 'worm hole' effect as it adds charactor to the piece - others want perfection and won't look twice. Hope you get the chance to try that type of wood again - and this time keep it from exploding! Looking forward to another piece... with charactor!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sorry to hear that Ken. I have turned many with worm holes but only one cracked up.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like it did not want a flare top...and tried to tell you. Now, just go finish it like it wanted you to do in the first place. Gotta love mother nature.

sorry about your blow up it is a nice looking piece I would lace the piece or pieces but in . On the worm holes I use CA glue on my worm holes which also makes them take finish better I think but i'm just a hacker.

Ken,

Next time, might I suggest you have a roll of blue painters tape hanging around your shop. After finishing the outside wrap it in some strategic places, if not all over. This will help with the outward pressures you're putting on it while clearing the inside.

As for the worm holes, six to one, half dozen the other. It depends on how many holes there are and whether or not they're in the right place to make it look interesting if you cleared them. It's kind of a judgment call on your part.

Sorry that it happened this way. It's a nice looking piece of wood. Good luck.
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 09-17-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Can you cut it down to the base of the flare and roll a bead on the mouth?

That would probably salvage the piece and look good too.