Thread: Hurricane Ike-Wood

Hurricane Ike-Wood

When the remnants of Hurricane Ike came through Oxford Ohio with 70 mph winds, it made a mess of things. I lost shingles, but picked up some wood. My son who is a golf course superintendant knows that I wanted some osage orange since I've not turned any yet. As fate would have it, the winds uprooted a tree at the course and I got some pieces to try. I also got some bitternut hickory, with some elm fo follow. I just got it home and sealed last night as I got dark.
    I've seen some reallly nice osage orange pieces here and cant wait to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steven carter; 09-17-2008 at 7:21 AM.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Steve, this is one of those bittersweet gloats! I hate to hear when someone receives storm damage but love to hear when a member scores some great wood! Hope you are able to make repairs to your place without breaking the bank! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of that wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steven there is always a good side and bad side. You hate to hear of destruction but looks like you got some nice wood saved from the landfill.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

We are about 50 miles East of Oxford. Amazing storm.. We lost five giant oaks near the house. Out in the woods, I bet close to fifty trees of various types, but I wont know the true extent of things until the trails are cleared and the leaves are off the trees. Firewood and turning wood for the rest of my life, at least. But no significant damage to buildings..just a few fences. I feel fortunate especially compared to folk down south.

The worst part is we are still without electricity and its not expected to be on for another 3 to 5 days.. and being in the country on well water, no water without power. We are on generator power for a couple hours a day so we can water the horses and take showers. Using the computer is a real treat.

Its the little things..
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Nice score!
    Get those Osage Orange pieces roughed out ASAP it has a tendancy to check really bad!!!!!!!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel