Thread: What is this??

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.

What is this??

Photo is not too great but can anyone identify this item? It showed up in a box along with Nova powergrip jaws that I purchased on sale. It looked like someone had returned the jaws to the store with this inside. The threads are 1.25 x 8 tpi

Thanks!
    Randy Hoch
    Attached Images Attached Images

insert?

first guess is a threaded insert. the picture was a little hard to see. looks alot like my outside tapered insert.

My guess is a threaded insert also. There are probably a couple of other holes in it that the screws can go into, but there are no corresponding holes in the chuck for them. You use these holes to put the screws in and it forces the insert out of the chuck when you tighten them down against the chuck.

If I remember right someone used to make a system where the face plates were interchangable and you have the mount for the face plates.

Here in Canada, Busy Bee Tools offers faceplates which accept this sort of adapter. You choose the size you need (1x8, 1-1/4x8 etc), and the Allen bolts hold it on the faceplate. Pretty simple rig really, and cheap to boot. I only have one (an 8" IIRC) and it is plenty solid for 16-20" out-of-balance blanks.

Cheers,
    Steve Kubien

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...9&NTITEM=B1291

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    Here in Canada, Busy Bee Tools offers faceplates which accept this sort of adapter. You choose the size you need (1x8, 1-1/4x8 etc), and the Allen bolts hold it on the faceplate. Pretty simple rig really, and cheap to boot. I only have one (an 8" IIRC) and it is plenty solid for 16-20" out-of-balance blanks.

Cheers,
    Steve Kubien

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...9&NTITEM=B1291
    Steve,
    I think that link hits the nail on the head, although they say that you need the part I've pictured, Busy Bee doesn't seem to offer it.... I'm tempted to order the faceplate in your link. I think that I could use it for a jam chuck for bowls or something. The piece fits my PM3520B spindle just fine.

Randy

Talking adpter

I belive it's for PSI face plate --as advertised also for other faceplates

turn turn turn

not my favorite part

randy , you better check the specs on that part before you order the faceplate to go with it. if its not the right taper then it wont fit and you will have a backless faceplate. second. I sure dont like faceplates with slots instead of round screwholes if you are going to ever use it for more than a jamchuck. I have a hard time getting the peice to hold still good luck with it though.. scott