Thread: Stairs question- brads into finish?

Stairs question- brads into finish?

A neighbor of mine liked my new wood stairs so much he talked me into doing his.

I would really like to prefinish the treads and risers (water-based poly) before installing them. Just easier to get an even application of several coats without disrupting traffic in the house.

My question is this; I like to use construction adhesive and a few brads to hold things in place while the adhesive dries. Will I need to do something with the brad holes?

In the past a few of you have mentioned a commercial adhesive. Please remind me of the brand.

Thanks,

Jim

The stair guy who did the new stairs on the house I just built was adamant that the principle things that keeps the stairs from squeeking are glue blocks applied from the undersides of the stairs.

Thanks

Steve,

I don't disagree with him when it's feasible. These are fully enclosed underneath and I'm going on top of the existing tread.

Knock wood, I did the 13 steps leading to my second floor this way and there isn't a hint of a squeak anywhere (yet).

Jim

Going on top of existing tread has problems of its own that you need to consider. All risers, including the top and the bottom, must be the same heights, within a relatively small tolerance, typically 3/8", between the tallest and the shortest. Even a quarter inch topping would lengthen the rise on the bottom by 1/4" and shorten the rise on the top step by 1/4", which if they were the same to start would make the difference 1/2", and violate the building code. More than that, it could make the stairs less safe.

James, PL Premium is excellent. I have done quite a few stair installs on stringers with no blocking. I used the PL liberally with 15 gauge nails, and I haven't had any squeaks.

Steve's point on code issue is an important one. If you do go over the old treads, make sure the existing treads are fastened well (duh!) and go heavy with the adhesive.

I would fill the nail holes and apply another coat of finish.

Post some pics!

Dustin
    Last edited by Dustin Thompson; 09-17-2008 at 9:04 PM.

Code

I'm fortunate that the stairs are going in at the same time as a new wood floor at the bottom of the stairs.

I'm also putting a tread on the top landing, cutting back the carpet and rolling the end an inch or so, butting it to the top tread. With no pad under the roll, the top landing will be flat with nothing to trip over and everything will be the same height.

Thanks for the heads up on the PL premium.

Jim

Some of the fillers that MINWAX markets are specifically intended for after-finishing use. You might find one that is a reasonable match in color:
    http://minwax.com/products/wood_main...wood_putty.cfm

"Surface must be clean and dry.
    1. Press putty into nail holes or minor imperfections. Colors may be blended for custom matches.
    2. Wipe excess putty from surrounding area with damp cloth. Will not harden to a sandable surface.

Note: Stain, seal or topcoat before applying putty"