Thread: Grinding noise from my Kapex

Grinding noise from my Kapex

Any kapex owners out there that are experiencing a grinding noise when changing the mitre angle?? It sounds horrible when swinging the saw left or right of 90 degrees, the detents and lock work fine but its a noise that should not be there, I've vacuumed out any dust from the swivel and there is nothing in there as far as an obstuction that I can see, but it definately sounds metal on metal.

Jeff-

Its the spring plate that's grinding. There is not enough clearance between the plate and the miter flange. I believe Festool will send a new spring plate, and if that doesn't do it, they will have to replace the saw.

It is my understanding this is the most common problem with this saw.
    Matt

Contact your dealer

This is a problem that got past QC on a few of the first saws. Festool will correct this.

Tony Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    This is a problem that got past QC on a few of the first saws. Festool will correct this.

Tony Joyce
    You think for $1,300.00 nothing would get past QC. I can get that for a saw the 1/3 the price.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

thanks guys, I contacted festool and they are sending me a new handle and spring plate, first time I've had to call festool and they were very prompt and polite in handling my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    thanks guys, I contacted festool and they are sending me a new handle and spring plate, first time I've had to call festool and they were very prompt and polite in handling my problem.
    What's with the new handle? The one used for setting the angle, or the one used for moving the saw? If the latter, what does it have to do with the grinding noise?

The throat plate on my Kapex has buckled and need to call them about that; but wonder what the handle issue is.

Sorry to hear about that. Actually I'm tickled pink, sorry for your trouble though. Just glad to find out the folks at Festool are fallible, and therefor possibly human. I had started to think they were an alien race slowly infiltrating the wood working market with superior technology from another planet!

Aside from this minor issue how are you finding the Kapex? Do I smell review?

Festool is aware of this problem and has a fix. Take the saw back where you got it or call Festool repair.

You can also find info at the Festool Owners Group

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Any kapex owners out there that are experiencing a grinding noise when changing the mitre angle?? It sounds horrible when swinging the saw left or right of 90 degrees, the detents and lock work fine but its a noise that should not be there, I've vacuumed out any dust from the swivel and there is nothing in there as far as an obstuction that I can see, but it definately sounds metal on metal.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-19-2008 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum - Prohibited by TOS

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    What's with the new handle? The one used for setting the angle, or the one used for moving the saw? If the latter, what does it have to do with the grinding noise?

The throat plate on my Kapex has buckled and need to call them about that; but wonder what the handle issue is.
    Wade,

The tech I spoke with explained to me that, on some early models the handles were prone to warping as a result the spring plate would rub on the base making the grinding noise.

So as a fix they designed a handle with more fiberglass in it to prevent warping, and also a new spring plate to go with it, he said its a quick and simple fix.