Thread: No Power + Lee Valley Catalogue = Bad

No Power + Lee Valley Catalogue = Bad

Ike was fun, but the power outage makes for some boring times. So even though the power doesn't work, the mail is delivered with the Lee Valley Catalog...

I had been wanting to dabble some in the neander world with some hand planes and such for my wider boards than my jointer/planer can handle, but now with no power and with the lee valley catalog, this could be a financially disasterous combination (what else am I going to do by candle-light at 8:30 in the evening other than ogle over the catalog).

In other news, lots of fences down, trees down, shingles missing, no power (estimated our house gets it back Monday the 22nd), but I cannot complain because we fared very well compared to those further south. And UPS lost my just ordered grizzly dust collector somewhere. But what good would that do without power to run it or the tools to make the dust.. hah! Spent about 10 hours yesterday putting a fence back up. Cutting 4 inches off of the bottom of about 80 fence planks with a hand saw was a fun experience, but at least the dang dog can stop going stir crazy in the house and has a yard to run around in now.

I hope other creekers are faring well in the greater Houston area.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Well..... has the spree been extended??? Lemme know if you want any other helpful nudges on the Neander slope... ya know that bad influence and all.
    I will admit I have that catalog on the bedside table as well as on the desk at the day job!
    Hopefully UPS relocates your DC 'bout the same time as the juice comes back on. Guess the shop reorg & cabinets will wait another few days...

Cheers.
    G

Sorry to hear about the damage and power loss and all... But I cant help but wonder, are you running your computer on a generator? Is it a laptop with a cell phone modem? Just curious.

I am at work unfortunately. Lots of people got called back to work starting Tuesday. I had to take personal time yesterday to get home and get the fence back up, and am going to take more personal time today to go get some ice to save my chest freezer meat collection. BLEH!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Alex,

Sorry for the troubles. My son, also an Aggie, lives in Cypress, just north of Houston. I guess they were one of the fortunate ones; they got their power back within a couple of days. Like you said, their neighborhood had trees down, blown stuff all over the place, etc. Once again...good luck!!

My wishes for a speedy recovery for all those effected by the recent hurricane.... mother nature always needs to remind us of her force, unfortunately....

But this post is too funny..... I can see the headlines....

hurricane forces man to over - buy ww tools!

It's scary Don, but I think many of us here can relate !
    Last edited by Will Blick; 09-20-2008 at 12:57 AM.

IKE hit Cincinnati last Sunday. YES! Cincinnati. 90% of Cincinnati was without power. A lot of people are without power tonight 5 days later.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

> IKE hit Cincinnati last Sunday. YES! Cincinnati. 90% of Cincinnati was without power.

LV should expect another surge in sales!!!

Hmm - After weathering 4 hurricanes in the Raleigh NC area, I sympathize. Hurricanes Fran and Floyd both resulted in no power for 2 weeks each. But I think I'd have used my chainsaw on 80 of those fence boards!