Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one know what this is ?

any one know what this is ?

Hi all, went to the land fill and got some free wood but don't what kind it is. the wood is a bright yellow heart wood and white sap wood the sap under the bark is white and creamie looking. I tried to post a couple pics. don't know if i got it right or not. I hope some one can help me out, the wo
    od seems to be hard and heavy. Thanks Wally.
    wood 010 (600 x 450).jpg

wood 005 (600 x 450).jpg

wood 002 (600 x 450).jpg

Locust ? But I know nothing about anything, just ask my daughter
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

It doesn't look like honey locust. It looks like mulberry to me. Mulberry is a nice turning wood but has a slight odor of medicine when cut.

FYI-The mulberry heartwood will turn a golden brown with exposure to the sun.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 09-20-2008 at 4:58 PM.

Sounds like Osage Orange to me. I just finished two natural edge bowls from it.

Bill

Hi Wally, I have turned enough of this stuff to be quite certain that this is Mulberry, I could haul out some pictures IF I was at home, but I'm away from home for a few weeks.
    Anyway Osage Orange has a more scaly bark that's also orange inside between the scales, Black Locust has a much higher ridged bark, the wood looks a lot like Mulberry, it is slightly more green in color.
    Honey Locust is a lot diferent in both wood and bark,
    Mulberry is a nice turning wood, it moves quite a bit and you will have to slow down the drying or it will split on you, I find it one of the hardest woods to dry without splitting.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Honey Locust... male tree.
    Have a Nice Day!

My first guess was mulberry though I have only gotten a few pieces of it. Not osage although the 2 are related. Doesn't look like black locust, and not brown enough for honey locust.
    robo hippy

Mulberry

Looks like mulberry. It's hard, but turns nicely.

Hutch

Bark and wood look just like the mulberry I just turned and have drying. Cuts nice when green but when dry is hard. Need sharp tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jon! Can you tell us how you sexed the tree? I'd love to know, just for curiosities sake.

This wood is Mulberry
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Thanks to every one for the replies, i roughed a couple bowles and dna"ed them, this wood was very wet so left them for better than 49hrs. in the dna so we will see how they turn out. Wally

At first I thought it was Black Locust, but the color just doesn't seem right. Next thought was Osage, but it's just not quite bright enough. So, here's another vote for Mulberry. Most Mulberry although in the same family as Osage, is a more pale yellow than Osage.

And yes it's pretty dense stuff.

Mullberry
    Turns nice but usually changes to brown

Jerry

Thats the best kind of wood - free!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns