Thread: Burl on a Stick

Burl on a Stick

Here's a goblet I made for my mother for her birthday. I am not real fond of it, and it is not my normal style. Please be honest and tell me what you think.

Thanks
    Bob

Love the top! The foot on the base, in MHO,Could be flatter AND a little larger.

It looks like it won't support the cup. I DO like the color contrast----- very striking.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Very nice wood figure!

I agree with Bruce, the foot size makes it look tippy, even empty. Realy nice work though.
    Bob

Bob - for a NE burl on a stick I think this works and works quite well! To me - this is art, not meant to be functional, just something to be displayed and admired! I think you did quite well with this and have to believe that your Mother absolutely loves it! Seriously, nice work combining a natural edge and modern style stem! In case I didn't get the point across - I like it! Very nice work - looking forward to what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bob, I think the Goblet portion looks great. Although it is not intended to be used, I think it should look like it could be. I like the color and simplicity of the stem but I think it could be improved some if you did two things. First if you were to flare the top of the stem and blend it into the Goblet and second, flare the base out some more to add the stability. This is my opinion only. All in all, your Mom will be tickled pink !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Bob that is a great looking goblet. I to would have flaired the stem to blend into the goblet and flaired to a larger base. Otherwise I love the wood and the contrast.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bob, I go with what Steve said, IMO this would not work for a functional goblet, but as a show piece it is gorgeous, even if I would have liked the foot to flare just a little more, But that's a personal "likes" of me, Yes I do think that should please most people, it is a beauty, thanks for showing.
    Have fun and take care

Bob,

I think everything about the goblet is great except the base as everyone else has stated. I like the concept of the base you were going for with the cone shape instead of just having a flat disc at the bottom. It reminds me of Rude Osolnik's candlesticks. However, the base needs to be at least the diameter of the mouth of the goblet. That's what makes it look tipsy.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Bob, that's a great concept. The fine stem, it looks like cocobolo or one of the other rosewoods, mated with the natural edged burl cup really makes a good looking contrast. But like everyone else has told you, the base is just too small. It looks like you just started with a piece of wood that was too small. But that sure is a pretty combination of woods. I'm guessing your next one will be a homerun.

The transition to the stem from the bottom of the body needs to flow , the abrupt change in profile makes it appear to have been an after thought or " a gobblet on a stick " .... Ya got the colors and the form and the NE is niffty..
    John 3:16

i like the top...the bottom does not fit the top style ... the top nice the bottom nice but not together...but hey, if you don't try .......

Very kewel. And nice contemporary goblet design. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it ends up being tipsy, you could always glue a slightly larger base onto the existing base, in a contrasting color; perhaps another piece of light colored wood? It shouldn't be too difficult to eyeball it on center. Really nice piece, though. I really like the natural edge of the goblet, and especially like the uneven sloped rim!! This adds an artistic draw to it that really sets it apart. Nice work, Bob.

Thanks all for all your input, it sounds like the base needed to flare more and be bigger. If I try another I will do that.

Bob

Bob,

I'm a week late on replying... (was on vacation) but I had to chime in:

I love this thing. I love the foot exactly as is. I'm on a laptop with a tiny screen, so I had to scroll down from the bowl of the goblet to see the foot, and when it came on screen I gasped an involuntary "cool!"

The bowl marks the piece as obviously non-functional. The small, smoothly fluted foot transforms the piece from "goblet with natural edge bowl" -- pleasing but expected -- to something that really grabs attention. What makes it really work is the bugle shape to the foot: the effect is that the bowl was projected up from below; it gives it a dynamic look, especially with the contrasting wood. The small size of the foot makes it look daring -- you want to keep looking at it, to make sure it hasn't fallen over yet (even in a picture).

Nice work!

Josh