Thread: Yesterday was a great day - TOOL GLOAT

Talking Yesterday was a great day - TOOL GLOAT

So I have been looking to get a agood router table with a lift option. But the prices seem very high IMO, and that was just a table no router.

I kept a eye out on Craigslist but for some reason there are very few wood workers in the N. VA area. In NC I could find just about any tool at craigslist but never up here. So I looked and found a Grizzly G1026 (3Hp Shaper) for $500. It was on the high end of my price. I offered $400 and they said $450. So I got it for $450. Even better it had the optional router bit spindle and dust port already on it.

It is 10 years old but the only difference I see is the bigger name plate and the lift handle is metal now. Other then that same motor, fence, etc...

Here are pics...

pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Marlin1975/Shaper.JPG

pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Marlin1975/Shaper2.JPG

^Copy and paste to see^
    Last edited by Marlin Williams; 09-21-2008 at 1:48 PM.

Broken link

Marlin,

Here are your pictures.

Randy

ShaperR.jpg

Shaper2R.jpg

Wow! Now that's what I call a great gloat. Congratulations.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

nice gloat now all you need to do is buy the cutters and after a few of those i think you may find the router table wasn't as spendy as you thought it was

Thanks for the Pic help. If you copy and paste the links they still come up.

Well for now I am going to run router bits. I knew it was a good deal when i got it since it came with the $50 router spindle. But did nto know the dust port was a extra as well.

The adjustments on it are great and very accurate.

So now I have my...

Shaper 3HP Grizzly
    Jointer 3hp Shop Fox (Pall. table)
    Table Saw 36-979 Delta with Unifence
    Planer 15" Palmgren

Those are my big tools. Juts need to finish setting up my new to me shop here in VA.

Nice score. I'd of bought that in a blink, would look nice next to my present shaper! Now you NEED to start saving/looking/searching for a powerfeed. You don't need to make a big investment in shaper cutters until you have a feed to push them. If you haven't used a shaper before, let me tell you it is a whole lot more powerful than a 3HP router, and a lot less forgiving too. For many things a powerfeed should not be viewed as an "optional" option.

In the mean time, you have the heavest, most powerful router table on the block! Congrats. Enjoy that.

PS...Don't give up on a good router table either. They have a lot of capabilities a shaper can't offer. Even a simple shop made affair with a home made fence can serve you well.

Congrats! And I second the recommendation for a feeder.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Williams View Post
    Well for now I am going to run router bits. I knew it was a good deal when i got it since it came with the $50 router spindle. But did nto know the dust port was a extra as well.
    Don't shapers turn in the opposite direction that routers do?
    For $450 you could have made a great router table/cabinet and put a router in it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Myk View Post
    For $450 you could have made a great router table/cabinet and put a router in it.

It runs in both directions. In one of the pics you can see the switch for forward and reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Myk View Post
    A router table is a bit better for router bits. Shaper speed around 10,000 rpm is a little slow for bits. Not a problem, you just need to take smaller cuts with each pass.
    Overall a shaper will out do a router table any day if you plan to do cabinet doors or the like.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Shaper speed around 10,000 rpm is a little slow for bits. Not a problem, you just need to take smaller cuts with each pass.
    Use a slower feed rate. Not as prone to burning at the lower RPM. (Get the feeder!)
    JR

Yea I did have cabinets in mind when I got this. We will be moving our kitchen when we expand our house next year and I want to make all the cabinets for it.

I know a router spinds faster then the shaper but everybody that has a shaper says it is still fast enough and for smaller bits just slow your feed down a little and that is all it takes.

But I need to finish the platfom bed made from Wenge first.