Thread: refinishing a Unisaw...

Blog Entries

refinishing a Unisaw...

Hi,
    I recently acquired a 1985 Unisaw which runs very nicely but looked like it was in the middle of an exploding paint factory. I sanded it down to smooth original gray or bare metal then primed with Rustoleum Professional Primer (two coats in 45 minutes) and then a first coat of Rustoleum Professional spray "light machine gray". Now the finish is sort of mottled in appearance and has lots of small dusty looking pills in sections, as if the paint dried before getting to the metal . Since I was spraying at about 8 inches, that seems unlikely? Any suggestions as to improving my technique, or where to go from here are appreciated.
    thanks, Bill Thompson, south of Albuquerque, NM.
    (As an aside, the new unisaw with 52 inch table is forcing me to make the planned move to a new workshop conversion of my barn, since the garage isn't nearly big enough for a unisaw with 52 inch fence and Exaktor sliding table....that part's exciting!)

All I can tell you is that I noticed the same thing when using Rustoleum Professional Dark Machinery Grey on my Uni. I think the Rustoleum professional line goes on much "dryer" than other spray paints. I believe they even advertise it is dry in something like 1/3 of the time of a normal spray paint. Try putting it on a little heavier than you have been. I found I could put it on pretty heavy and it still wouldn't run. By the end of the base I had my technique with the professional down...then I tried to paint my throat plate with some cheapy red rattle can stuff using the same technique. I got bigtime runs and it too many times longer to dry.

Blog Entries

thanks

That sounds good, I do remember the claim about fast drying now, too bad they don't comment on theirweb faq . No reply from their consumer service in 3 days either, sigh.I'll try some repainting with a heavy hand in the am and report back!