Thread: Replacing Start Capacitor

Replacing Start Capacitor

I have two motors that I need to replace the start coaacitors in. They both have little power on startup, and the cap is leaking (I think I overheated them) I removed the caps from the motors and they are labeled. I can't seem to, however, find an exact replacement online. Do any of you have experience with replacing these? Can I use a higher MFD cap, or a lower range? Size is an issue as the Cap needs to fit into the cover on the side of the motor, can I go with a smaller one?

The details are below:

Mallory - 324 - 389 MFD; 110VAC

Seika - 200 MFD; 125 VAC

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

You could try a local motor shop. I did get one from Grainger here locally for water pump motor. They were able to match it exactly. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

It is best if you stick with what the manufacturer provided. A lower MFD the motor may not start and a higher and it will give it more snap and may cause damage to your device. The motor shop, or electrical supply is the best source.

Call Grainger. Give them the numbers and size and they should be able to match you up. Great service and they know what they are talking about. ( In my experience anyway )
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

These capacitors will meet the electrical requirements. Whether or not they are the proper physical size to fit in the available space in the motor is something you'll have to determine.

Mallory - 324 - 389 MFD; 110VAC
    McMaster-Carr Part Number 7245K47
    AC Motor-Start Capacitor 324-389 Rating, 1-7/16" Case Diameter, 110-125 VAC In stock at $4.55 Each

Seika - 200 MFD; 125 VAC
    McMaster-Carr Part Number 7245K16
    AC Motor-Start Capacitor 189-227 Rating, 1-7/16" Case Diameter, 110-125 VAC In stock at $3.64 Each

Reference: McMaster-Carr website at www.mcmaster.com, online catalog page 925
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

placed order

Thanks for your reply. I placed an order tonight for the replacements.