Thread: Lathe at auction

Lathe at auction

I could use a little information, I found a powermatic #45 lathe up for auction locally. Auction is Wed. morning. If lathe is in good condition, what would be a good price and what should be max bid?! My wife doesn't think I really need another lathe but then I don't think She ever needs another pair of shoes! Found 45 on ebay min. bid $699. 3 days to go no bids so far. Thats all I have to go on .
    Thanks, Skip

Blog Entries
    There are a couple on epay now, look them over see whats included to.
    Also NOTE, the one you reffered too is 3 Phase

The others may be as well.

Is the one your looking at single phase or 3 phase?

Keep in mind 3 phase tools Usually sell for less unless a commercial shop wants it or a hobbiest who can add a VFD( I think thats whats needed< No expert on that you'd have to research that more yourself.) to it to use at home.

Solid lathe, good luck.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Scott, thanks for the comments, I'm not sure of the phase but I don't think the rural area the auction is in has 3 phase. Like you, I would be thinking vfd if it is 3ph. I was reading somewhere that older 3ph. motors can sometimes over heat when hooked up to a vfd. Older insulation on the windings won't hold up. They are allowing inspection 1hr. before the auction so I should get a chance to look it over.
    Thanks again, Skip

I picked up an old powermatic #90 at auction a few years ago. It was three phase but it already had capacitors to run on single phase. Paid $350 for it . Runs great. No vibration.

This may help?

Motors are most often wound with varnish or oyher synthetic coating over the bare copper wire. This coating insulates the wire and keeps it from shorting and becoming a hazard. Yhree Phases power can be priciy to install, but will run the lathe better, and posibly one of the converters will work. I have had no expierance with them. Good luck woth the purchase.
    Bob

I have a Powermatic # 45

Skipp
    I have a model 45. It's a Heavy Older Made in the USA Lathe that performs Very well. I use it mostly for turning spindles.
    I bought mine at auction about 6 yrs ago Paid $450. if I remember right. Them I bought a Brand New 3/4 hp single phase motor & link belt for it for around $125. Cleaned it up & repainted it for around $25. For a total investment of around $600.
    Now Looks & works like a new machine. I was told that they quit making them around 1976 and they sold for around $2500. back then.
    You won't buy a new machine of any brand that would compare to this lathe for less than $1500.
    That said use your own judgement & decide if it suits your turning needs.

Skip,
    About two years ago I attended a local school auction where I saw a PM45 and a PM90. Both of the lathes were in working condition as far as I know. I think they were both three phase but I'm not sure. IIRC, one of them sold for $110 and one sold for $140.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. It gives you some hope that there are still bargains to be had if people don't go crazy.

Good luck,
    Dick

Choosing this lathe depends a lot on what you want to turn. If you're looking to do large bowls (+12 inches) its the wrong lathe. You might consider this lathe for $300 in 3 phase. I don't think you're ahead much after the converter which can run you either as a converter or converter and new motor. Once you add that up, you're looking at anywhere from 450-600. The Jet 1220 is only $445 w/ free shipping, its a lighter unit, but won't take up the space.

Above that, you might consider a Jet 1236 or Nova 1624-44 although those are over 1k now. My how prices have jumped.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Before the auction, you might check and see if you can get three phase installed at your location. I tried that here in NW Texas, and the electric company advised me that we weren't authorized to have three phase electricity in a residential location.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.