Thread: smoking wood

smoking wood

Just a question for you turners who also cook. I have been given a "log" of Black Walnut...5'x 20"dia. This piece went through a friends mother's house in east Texas after Ike went through. After milling bowl blanks with my chain saw, I have a lot of walnut shavings and plan to have more after turning.
    The question is, has any one used walnut for smoking meat?...is it safe?..what kind of flavoring can be expected?
    From my turnings I have saved and used Hickory, Mesquite, and Pecan in my smoker with great results....any comments on walnut?

Dr. R..

I have never used it but check out these sites. Like you I have used hickory/pecan, mesquite, oak, and many other things but not walnut.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Charcoal-S...tage&id=784463

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26800

James

I'd be pretty careful with that. Black walnut contains juglone, a toxin. I for one am very sensitive to it; whenever I turn or cut walnut and get shavings on my skin, especially if my skin is wet, I get a poison-ivy like blister rash that lasts even longer than poison ivy/oak does. Heat may destroy juglone, I do not know. I would just be very careful. Ever wonder why a lot of plants don't grow under walnut trees?? Its because the toxin is released into the soil.

I can't say I've ever heard of walnut being used in this context. Cherry, apple, hickory, etc., yes. Walnut, no.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

walnut smoke

Walnut is particularly toxic to horses and dogs. I'd probably not want to use it on something I'd eat. Do not use the shavings for horse or dog bedding it could kill them it is that toxic.

Smile

Walnut can kill fleas, ticks, plants, some people, horses, and it is not a good smoking wood, taste very strong. Mesquite, Cherry, Maple, Hickory, Apple, Sassafras is good, there are many more but not Walnut

Hey...Thanks Guys.

I knew there were smarter turners than I out there.

Well there goes the walnut shavings in to the dumpster.

Thanks again...my family thanks you'll also.

Dr. R....

I do love walnut as a wood, and use it for bowls as well. I do tell people when they are looking at them that it is a strongly scented wood. Some people love it, and some are over powered by it. It can blend well with salads, especially if you are rubbing garlic cloves on the bowl before making the salad, but it can flavor what ever you are having food wise in the bowl, especially if the food is hot and wet like soup, pasta, and stirfrys. I love the smell of walnut in a fire, but don't think I would like it for smoke flavors. English walnut isn't as strong. As far as the shavings go, if you have a weed patch, it can help control that, but I don't think it will take care of blackberrys.
    robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Just find a good press and squeeze all the walnut oil out of it. Then you've got a nice wood finish.
    Have a Nice Day!

I have spread them around where I want to get rid of the pest weeds that grow there. It doesn't seem to work too well in that context but if I put them in a garden I'm sure it would kill everything.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.