Thread: Western White Pine

Western White Pine

Taking a break today from digging an unpleasantly large foundation hole (70, 10-yd loads?) to mill up all the Western White Pine on hand before the warm weather facilitates Blue Mold. The fir and cedar will keep.

Same properties as Eastern White Pine…the heartwood has some uses on boats and it’s great interior house trim. Two middlin-size trees, 27” diameter…6 sawlogs logs total, three of them pretty clear…one tree was free and the owner of the other gets one lower log’s worth in return for sawing 4/4 paneling.

Appears I’ll recover 1000-1200 BF from them today….and around 300 BF of CVG stock. Fragrant…you can smell that pine 100 yards away, and there are two ospreys and an eagle working the ponds today as the Cutties feed on the surface and the last of the Coho smolt head downstream.

Hope you folks working in offices have a nice day.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Man, the guy buries the knife and then TWISTS it Slime, just slime

May blue mold take a strangle-hold on all that smelly pine!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    May blue mold take a strangle-hold on all that smelly pine!
    And the osprey eat your pet goldfish.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    And the osprey eat your pet goldfish.
    And may you be inflicted with the fleas from a thousand camels.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Y’all are right, and I’m sorry…just couldn’t resist some ribbing today…but I really should give equal time to all 5 months of winter with 34-degree rain dripping down my neck and soaking my wool shirt.

Or going to work in the dark at 7:30 and coming home in the dark at 4:00…wonder why all those spotlights are on the work trucks out here? Count the lights on the hoe in the pic...there are 8.

Or those warmer fall and spring rainy days where it’s warm enuf that wearing wool and getting soaked through is more comfortable than rain gear…as long as you keep moving.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 05-13-2004 at 7:02 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Weeeelllll I guess I will forgive you But onlyl if you load up your truck and bring a bunch of that wood down to my place!!! In fact, I would even be willing to come up that and take it off your hands so you have more room in your lot. After all, you don't want to run out of space do you?

Hey Bob, what does that CVG white pine sell for up there? (air dried)

Bob, Watch Robert....he isn't kidding! He showed up in my driveway just to watch that evil dragon( disguised as an english walnut tree) get slain! He's a good guest!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't work in an office thank God, but I don't have the view you had today either! I envy the ability you have to score all that Pine!