Thread: Drill Press Table Choices

Drill Press Table Choices

Am considering a "pre-built" drill press table, versus making one - though that may end up being the best option.

Wondering if you guys have any preferences / recommendations for the "pre-built" ones ........ have had the Rockler and don't like; so far I seem to be narrowing it to the Woodpecker's one with the bells and whistle's (about $140).

Thanks ahead of time.
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

I've got the Woodpecker table and I like it very much. The table extensions are quite handy and the hold downs work very well. I also like the tables inserts. Only downside is the fench doesn't allow for very efficient dust collection
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

The Woodpecker table was a little bigger than I wanted, so I built my own with ther hardware / fence kit. The WP hardware is very well made and it's low-profile avoids clearance issues with the quill handles that can occur with taller fences.
    - Tom

I have the Woodpecker table and it is nice. But... if I were to do it over again I would build one. The fence is too fancy and keeps getting in the way, and then I feel bad when it falls on the floor. Often I use a quick clamp instead of the screw down holders in the track. The insert is nice but easy enough to make on your own table. And the slick surface is all well and good, but not necessary on a drill press.

Honestly, I think I would have been just as happy with a large chunk of MDF or something, and clamp a piece of wood on to use as a fence when I need one. However, my drill press looks a lot cooler with the Woodpecker table. And that is the main thing.

Blog Entries
    I have this one. For the way I work (which differs from Peter ) it couldn't be better. Apparently it is no longer made. To bad, when something works this right, you really ought to leave it alone ;-)

P.s. Here's a DC idea.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-24-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    ...And the slick surface is all well and good, but not necessary on a drill press.
    I wonder if it's even desirable.
    - Tom

Yeah Tom, I often think the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have this one. For the way I work (which differs from Peter ) it couldn't be better. Apparently it is no longer made. To bad, when something works this right, you really ought to leave it alone ;-)

P.s. Here's a DC idea.
    Yep, that is what I have on my DP plus the wings: love it love it

Woodpeckers always makes good stuff and I have no qualms buying anything from them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I built a nice heavy duty one, but it was too big. I took it off and replaced it with the one from Woodpeckers. I like the Woodpeckers table a lot more, so I sold the one I made.

If you build your own, don't make the fence very tall.

Lot's of good choices for "pre-built" DP tables mentioned...but why would you not want to build your own? Easy project. Fast project. Inexpensive project and you can make it exactly to fit your own needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Years ago I had a "store bought" drill press table on my floor standing drill press, and hated it. Then about 5 years ago I bought a kit containing the plans, T-track, and all of the hardware from Peach Tree Supply in Atlanta www.ptreeusa.com and built my own from 3/4 cabinet grade birch plywood in about 6 hours. It has a side wing with a fence to allow you to clamp parts vertically as well as a top fence for horizontal drilling and replaceable inserts for zero clearance drilling and a vacuum connection. I've not seen any ready made tables with all these features and I've been very happy with it.

Charley

Charles,

That post of yours just BEGS to have pictures attached to it!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.