Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little wizard

little wizard

Hello,

Anyone have one of these. I have an old maple bench top that I want to have planed. They require me to make sure the top is metal free before they plane it or I will pay for sharpening or replacement of knives. Any help would be appreciated

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3820

It works great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Yes, I have one. Somewhere. Works great. Now...if I could only find the darn thing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can tell you that the larger wand type one also works well. It is more expensive, but it covers a larger area so you can quickly scan a lot of boards. Because it is so easy and quick to use, I just scan every piece of timber I plan on using in a project before I get started. So far I've found a couple of nails, some staples and have yet to have an unpleasant "surprise" at the jointer, planer or table saw.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Blog Entries
    I have the little one. Works great. Note, the wire mesh in your shop slab will fool you. DAMHIKT.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The speaker on my little wizard was junk. I now own the lumber wizard 3 wand. MUCH BETTER piece and worth the difference in price.

Maybe it's just me, but a product like this screams Ebay. I just searched for handheld metal detectors and came up with 1000's of hits. A larger wand style detector can be had for about $30-35. Can't vouch for the Chinese quality, but it would be worth doing a little research.

I'll weigh in...

I use reclaimed wood quite a bit, and I sprung for the Little Wiz, paid about $16 for it two or three years ago and have not been disappointed, it's saved me a few sets of planer knives and a saw blade or two. I didn't expect super performance, I was just looking for hidden nails and screws, but was pleasantly surprised that it will pick up the tablesaw or other metal thru a 2x (granted a lot of metal there). But it even picks up drywall screws under epoxy in my assembly bench thru 2" of lumber. Depending on the sensitivity setting, it will pick up a small staple from several inches away.

I'm sure the wands work better, but I wasn't prepared to spend more until I knew how well the cheaper one worked. I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.
    Last edited by Mike Keers; 09-24-2008 at 12:20 PM.
    Emkay Woodcrafting
    "Uncommon Woodworking"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, I have one. Somewhere. Works great. Now...if I could only find the darn thing!
    You need a metal detector detector.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

I have both the small and large wands. Save yourself time and opt for the larger wizard.

Blog Entries
    I was given an old cherry mantle by my neighbor. The wood was quite curly and I wanted to resaw it into 3/8" thick material. I found one nail by hand, but that was hard to see due to the dark stain and rough cut surface. I decided the Little wizard was cheaper than one resharpening of a saw blade. It worked great, locaitng several small nails that would have pur a nice nick in a planer blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A properly placed nick on a planer knife simply yields a nice bead!!

I have the larger Wizard: works great as everyone has alluded to.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Do "non-lumber-specific" wands work?

Would a metal stud finder work?
    Would a security metal detector wand work?

The small & large wizard seem pretty reasonably priced but I'm always curious...
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

14. If I recall there was a thread on these a while back and some folks said that the cheaper units were more sensitive - I am guessing that it's because they don't have fine attenuation controls.

Anyone have experance with the Harbor Freight wand? $39.99

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale