Thread: Dust collection saga

Dust collection saga

OK, It is finally almost at an end. My wife and I have settled on either the 2hp Super Gorilla from Oneida or the 2hp cyclone from Grizzly. Specs are virtually identical (14 inch impeller, metal gauge thickness, air movement, etc). I know the Oneida is American made but with shipping there is a palpable difference in price with the Griz being much much less (almost $900 vs about $1600). I also have a spare motor, a Leeson that I have had so I am not worried about motor burn out issues. It is going to be hooked up via 15 feet of flex ( 6" ) directly to our machines, one at a time, reduced at the machine for the appropriate ports. So, for anybody that has one or the other is the price difference truly worth it considering the one machine at a time hookup, and I don't need the ducting planning?Any opinions, etc are greatly appreciated. Also we plan on pulling the trigger by the end of this week either way. Thank you all.

Salut Guy, it's probably going to be hard to find someone who has both machines to compare.

I purchased an Oneida cyclone 6 years ago, and based upon that my brother purchased one last year.

Both of us have nothing but praise for the product.

If it were my decision, I would purchase the Oneida both for its quality and its country of origin.

I have to admit that aside from my recent purchase of a Hammer A3-31, my basement is full of green machinery (General), both for the quality and the country of origin.

Regards, Rod.

About four months ago, I did the same comparison you did. Figuring the cost of shipping, stand and remote, I came up with similar numbers. I prefer to buy American, but not at that price differential. I ordered the Grizz 2hp cyclone and it arrived in less than 48 hours after I placed my order. The fit and finish on it were as good as anything I've ever bought. Also one of the things that swayed me are past good experiences with Grizzly customer service (thought I'm sure Oneida is also excellent). Have been totally satisfied with it.

I bought the Super Gorilla 2HP two years ago; nothing but good things to say. I came down the Onieda and the ClearVue mainly because of the cyclone design observations made by Bill Pentz regarding shape and proportions. (http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm)

Can't speak to the Grizzly, but did want to note that I debated between the 2 and 3 HP (this was before the 2.5) and went with the smaller one to save money. The 2HP offers me all the suction I need - my longest run is 20+ feet to my 16 inch bandsaw, and I can keep multiple ports open and still get all the pull I need. (Metal duct, 6 inch main to 5 inch drops to 4 inch connectors).

Guy, given your limited lenght of run it sounds like you'd be good with either and probably some of the others (I know a JDS cyclone user who's happy with his, but the price appears comparable with Oneida)

I have been a happy Oneida owner for 6+ years. The Grizzly/Clearvue designs were not available back then but I would buy an Oneida again today without hesitation.

The 2hp Gorilla lists for $1380 + Shipping. Is shipping really that much to you?

This may start a war but Do not get hung up on the Made in USA thing. If you buy an import unit you are keeping Dock Workers, Import and Transportation companies, etc in business so it is a wash in my book.

Buy the best that YOU can afford.

Very Happy Grizz owner. 3hp cyclone.

NO Problems. Fit and finish are excellent.

I am doing a 6" pvc piping job rite now. Will post in a few days.

I think 3hp is over kill now that I have it I love it.

The more piping I get hooked up the quieter it gets.

Excellent sucking.

That said, I have never read a post from anyone that was not satisfied with a cyclone. Basic cyclone technology really works.

I am looking forward to much less dust.
    Bartee Lamar

Blog Entries
    I was after an Oneida but the recent price bump has steered me to Griz. They review very well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2HP Griz owner - it's exceeded my expectations. 7" short to 6" main and drops to 4" at most of the ports. I'm still working out some of the ducting details - just "stubbed in" some wyes where I thought I might need drops.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

I think either choice will be a good addition to your shop. If you were actually able to compare the two machines physically side-by-side, you'd likely pick out some differences that help justify the cost differences, but unless they are meaningful to you, they are a moot point. By full disclosure, I'm a long-time happy customer of Oneida and on my second system from them. The first a small 1.5hp component system (old design) and was no longer appropriate for my larger shop and larger tools, but it still in service in another 'Creeker's shop nearby. I currently run a 2hp Commercial which is somewhat the predecessor of the 2hp Super Gorilla. I'm absolutely pleased with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am also trying to decide and came down to the same two choices (also planning on one machine at a time).

Then, Oneida came out with two new offerings (both in the Grizzly price range):
    http://www.oneida-air.com/gorilla_mini.php
    http://www.oneida-air.com/v2000.php

Now, I have decided to go with Oneida and am deciding between the two. I am leaning towards the Mini-Gorilla, because it is mobile, I can live with the 17 gallon drum, and it is on sale (and I'm cheap )

Quote Originally Posted by John Eaton View Post
    2HP Griz owner - it's exceeded my expectations. 7" short to 6" main and drops to 4" at most of the ports. I'm still working out some of the ducting details - just "stubbed in" some wyes where I thought I might need drops.

-- John
    John, would you be kind enough to share some specs regarding your shop size, power equip, length of duct runs, etc. I want to buy a Grizzly cyclone and do not know whether the 2HP will do it or I need to go to the 3HP. FYI, I have a 10" hybrid saw, 6" jointer, band saw, DP and a SC Mortise machine. I intend to purchase a lunchbox planer and a build a router table. My longest run would be about 20". Thanks for your help.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. For the gentleman who is thing about the mini and the V-2000, I considered the mini but it seems to be too mini and the quote I received from Oneida is $1229 (the remote is free for their fall special but you have to get the version with the upgraded filter). You are pretty well limited with that tripod stand but makes for an easy set up. When I asked why it was so much cheaper the sales guy said it is made of thinner metal, slightly different design than the Gorilla, a consumer version. It seems that the folks that have Oneidas like theirs and the Grizzly owners feel the same. Right now it looks as though the Griz will win out since performance is the same (perception) as the Super Gorilla and the V-200 is an unknown at this time. The Grizz shipped is about $400 and $700 less than the two Oneidas. Again keep the comments coming on in and thanks all!!