Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “I normally don’t like segmented work.”

“I normally don’t like segmented work.”

I have an observation that I’d like to share. On this site and on all other sites, I often read comments regarding “segmented” postings that start with words such as, “I normally don’t like segmented work, but ….” It’s not a big deal, but I’ve often wondered why someone, who is about to praise a piece, feels that that they have to state that it’s an exception to the way that they normally feel about segmented work. I’ve received those types of comments numerous times and today I see where Mike Golka has received a few such comments.
    Any thoughts?

I wonder if the poster is just trying to make the turner this realize just how special the poster considers the piece they are critiquing or commenting about?

There are some styles of art, (not turnings) that I don't particularly like. If I happen to see a piece in that style that does catch my eye, I might make a statement like that so the artist knows how very special that piece is IMHO.

Art....music....so subjective....there is no definitive objective measurement ....it is strictly a matter of personal taste again...IMHO.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-24-2008 at 2:50 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I suspect most of the posters think they are actually raising the value of the praise they are giving when they say things like "I normally don't like ...... but your example is -insert praise here-. ". They don't consider that the initial statement tells you that they find most of the "......" to be below their criteria for good work/aesthetics/quality/etc so when they praise your work, they are really saying that it is just an exceptional example of a lesser item.

There is also a psychological aspect that good news after bad seems better than that good news by itself. It doesn't actually apply to this situation but like many ideas, it may have been overgeneralized and is now misused. That may be why the habit to start a sentence that way is common.

I may be guilty of this offence as well but I'll be sure not to repeat it if I have done so before.

BTW, I really like the title of your thread. It practically begs you to read it when you look at the title and then the author. You think..."What! Malcolm Tibbets doesn't like segmented ?!" Very catchy
    Last edited by Brett Baldwin; 09-24-2008 at 3:11 PM.

Malcolm,

I'd echo what Ken and Brett said. It's possibly a habitual phrase someone employs to raise the value of the compliment to follow. I love segmented work and yours, of course are outstanding.

But I've been known to say, 'normally I dislike painting/coloring wood and prefer natural grain, but - (insert said compliment on elements I do like.)' So my feelings are genuine as truly, in the past, I really haven't liked painted wood or colored wood. I have, however, seen some exceptional pieces done with various dyes and patina type finishes, copperization and so on - that have changed my generalization of 'normally I don't like colored wood.'

Just my two cents. Best to you, good question, too!

Jude

Well normally I don't like questions like this, but it was a very good question.

My initial (internal) response is always, how could anyone not like segmented work (unless they have seen only poor examples and believe that to be the norm). Perhaps, as other have said, it's intended to enhance the strength of the compliment which follows. But remains a bit disconcerting nevertheless.

Reminds me of a comment I read by one of the judges of a juried show or exhibit, to the effect that she did not much like plain "brown and round". I really did not want or need to know that.

Might be an interesting experiment to get Steve to respond that way to everyone's post for one or two days and see what feelings it elicited. Not a good idea though, as not everyone would get the word that it was an experiment.
    Richard in Wimberley

I think the reason someone might say, "I normally don't like segmented work..." is because a lot of it, especially by novices, is flat out, God-awful, ugly - made from woods with unflattering sharp contrasts and loud patterns.

Unlike a bowl turned from a solid block of wood, a segmented turning requires great design skills as well as great turning skills. Those two skills rarely exist in one person – but when they do, we see exceptional work - work that might be praised with the prefix, "I normally don't like segmented work..."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have to agree with a little bit of everything said so far.

I think that it would be unusual though, to say the least, if you posted:

"I normally don't like solid wood bowls turned from one boring species of wood using minimal design skills, but your is very nice."

Perhaps Malcolm has a point?
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 09-24-2008 at 6:46 PM.

I like segmented work! I appreciate the time and skill it takes to produce a segmented piece. Especially knowing all the cutting, gluing, and waiting could all be ruined during the turning phase.

As for the tagline "I normally don’t like segmented work" maybe it is because they don't like to do it and can't understand how anyone else could either.I personally don't see the excitement in turning pens but I won't bring that up here. Oops - I just did. Sorry pen lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    I have an observation that I’d like to share. On this site and on all other sites, I often read comments regarding “segmented” postings that start with words such as, “I normally don’t like segmented work, but ….” It’s not a big deal, but I’ve often wondered why someone, who is about to praise a piece, feels that that they have to state that it’s an exception to the way that they normally feel about segmented work. I’ve received those types of comments numerous times and today I see where Mike Golka has received a few such comments.
    Any thoughts?
    I normally don't wear hats. I don't think they look good on me for some reason...
    But every now and then, I put one on that I actually like.
    I have made similar comments about pierced and or carved work, especially pieces that hardly look turned at all... Stuff that I just do not gravitate to -
    But every now and then, I see something that moves me. I don't think of it as a slam to the general medium, like country music, I don't listen to it much, but every time I hear "Please Don't Take The Girl," I cry like a baby, it just moves me.
    I suppose the fist part COULD be left off, but in my mind it's a way of saying:
    "In spite of whatever prejudice or reservations I might have, this piece transcends the medium and speaks to me in a way that forces me to embrace the results of your efforts." (or something like that)
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    I suppose the fist part COULD be left off, but in my mind it's a way of saying:
    "In spite of whatever prejudice or reservations I might have, this piece transcends the medium and speaks to me in a way that forces me to embrace the results of your efforts." (or something like that)
    Very well said George ! I don't see anything odd about using the phrase, in fact I have used the phrase. For instance I normally dont like winged bowls, don't know why, but I don't. But occasionally there is one that really speakes to me and I like it and I will use that phrase. I don't find anything wrong or offensive about it. To me it would be a compliment.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think the reason someone might say, "I normally don't like segmented work..." is because a lot of it, especially by novices, is flat out, God-awful, ugly - made from woods with unflattering sharp contrasts and loud patterns.

Unlike a bowl turned from a solid block of wood, a segmented turning requires great design skills as well as great turning skills. Those two skills rarely exist in one person – but when they do, we see exceptional work - work that might be praised with the prefix, "I normally don't like segmented work..."

Mike
    I agree with Mike. On a number of segmented pieces I've seen, the form simply sucks, or the pattern/design is not aesthetic to my eye. Having seen the amazing pieces a good segmenter can make, I figure life's too short to have to look at ugly pieces. Same goes for non-segmented work as well.

I've used that line.
    I guess that I'm too lazy to type that I think many pieces don't grab me and that I think that often I would prefer to see the grain pattern continue a bit longer than many segmented pieces allow for. Then there are pieces that I find really grab me and impress me in the way that the wood is used to full advantage in one way or another.
    Personally I find it easier to appreciate a broader spectrum of solid wood pieces than segmented.
    If I say that I'm not normally partial to segmented work and them move on to praise a piece. It is just an easy way of telling where I am coming from.
    I'm sure I've heard more than once from "The pros" during instant gallery critiques at symposiums similar statements.

Even for the segmented works that I don't care for I appreciate the work that goes into making it. I will never be a geometry major and I would find that skill daunting at best.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Very interesting comments everyone. The problem we all face is that language is much too limited to describe any work of art or craft and for me wood turning covers at least 3 of the 5 senses -sight, touch, and smell. As we all work to be supportive and creative, I find that the words I chose fall well short of the awe that so many of the pieces pictured here so richly deserve. How does one put into context in a few short lines a feeling that can be interpreted as positive for a group of folks who are for the most part strangers without saying the same thing over and over again? My choice is therefore to rarely post responses or pictures but that is also a copout. I think it is most important to discern the intent of the message being sent instead of focusing how I might of said it differently.

DOug

Any thoughts?

a segemented piece has to be turned just as chunked wood, but to cut out the pieces to do a segmented piece a turner has to be a part carpenter and planner also, i am uncomfortable with power saws so when i see segmented pieces i admire them but do not consider doing one or more

Malcolm your pieces are wonderful and i enjoy seeing them

I normally don't like kids, but I like mine.

Actually, I agree with Mike Henderson. Many are hard to look at. The hoice of wood is poor, the joints are bad, and the form ends up looking odd.

I normally like the well crafted segmented work, but I would dislike the one I would make.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.