Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do in "the big apple"?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

It's almost as good as a trip to Italy. Seriously, just go there. Best thing in New York, hands down, if you like to eat. That's where you're going to get the best pizza. And also the best salami, mortadella, chicken parm, veal, minestone, italian ice, gelato, cannolis. And the bread, just wow. (You cannot skip this, LOML and I go to Arthur Avenue every time, even if it's pouring rain.)
    eric--

i'm drooling, already.

even if you hadn't told me about arthur avenue, my paesano/bloodhound nose would have found this place. i haven't been to a good delicatessen in years. i grew up in pittsburgh. there was a large italian community there, so every neighborhood had a deli. there was nothing like walking thru the door and having the aroma waft over you. heaven.

maybe i'll skip the photo show and just eat my way thru town.

funny that you mention the bread. i'm a bread freak. i could make a meal out of a loaf of good bread - and maybe a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. my wife says that she has never seen anyone eat "just bread" as much as i do. i always tell her that there is no such thing as "just bread".

thanks for the pm, too. i appreciate the advice and alternate suggestions.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

my favorite pizza place is DiFara. really amazing, but if you go, make sure you have some time.
    here is a good description.
    http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2...-difara-pizza/
    Last edited by Benjamin Dahl; 09-26-2008 at 7:44 AM.

Wow! Just about everything can be done in New York. It just depends mostly where you're staying and what's available via public transportation or taxis from there. I love to drive, but would never even try to drive or park in Manhattan.

Times Square by day and night is a "must" for a first time visitor. While you're there if youre looking for some great authentic New York City eats, look no further than Roxys Deli located at 1565 Broadway, at the heart of Times Square.

When I in New York in January I went to the top of Rockefeller Center http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ and the view was spectacular.

I love musicals and have been to see many here in Southern California, but they don't compare to a true Broadway production. I saw Wicked and was blown away. The story, cast and production are fabulous. Broadway is very close to Times Square.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-26-2008 at 5:05 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I just had to post this link about Arthur Avenue:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2...arthur-avenue/

I really need to thank you, Jeffrey. LOML was reading over my shoulder while I posted my suggestions. Now she wants me to find airfare to JFK around Thanksgiving... "We really need to go back to Arthur Avenue," LOML says, "Think of all the money we'd save buying proscuitto at Pete's Meats instead of at Whole Foods!"

This time, we might just STAY in the Bronx. (Never thought I'd say THAT in my lifetime.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fusaro View Post
    eric--

i'm drooling, already.

even if you hadn't told me about arthur avenue, my paesano/bloodhound nose would have found this place. i haven't been to a good delicatessen in years. i grew up in pittsburgh. there was a large italian community there, so every neighborhood had a deli. there was nothing like walking thru the door and having the aroma waft over you. heaven.

maybe i'll skip the photo show and just eat my way thru town.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

OMG!

your cholesterol could go up just reading that link!

I really need to thank you, Jeffrey. LOML was reading over my shoulder while I posted my suggestions. Now she wants me to find airfare to JFK around Thanksgiving... "We really need to go back to Arthur Avenue," LOML says, "Think of all the money we'd save buying proscuitto at Pete's Meats instead of at Whole Foods!"

This time, we might just STAY in the Bronx. (Never thought I'd say THAT in my lifetime.)
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

There goes my diet.

BTW -- The food choices in New York are far beyond any experience I've ever had. In Manhattan alone there are several fantastic eating places on every block. The variety and quality is amazing!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

'Just be aware that the wonderful variety of culinary delights in NYC and surrounding do come with a price...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What to do in NYC really depends on what you're into, since as everyone mentioned you can do nearly anything in NYC.

The suggestion about Times Square, a good dinner, and a play is a great one, if you are up for the spending. Try to hit both downtown and midtown. If you don't mind a beer or 2, hit a pub/bar in each of them for the slightly different flavor. Don't listen to the pizza suggestions, since all the best pizzerias are in Bensonhurst anyway and many of them are gone these days.

Go to the top of the Roockefeller center its a great view.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If you want to see a show, I reccomend Avenue Q... Completely irreverent, but hillarious!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I liked Times Square when it was still on the seedy side.
    I enjoy the area around Washington Square Park most.
    Central Park is always great too.
    Usually the folks from the city come up to my town on the weekends. Antiquing and enjoying the great views.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Take the subway, then a hike, then climb the 4 flights of stairs to Tools for Working Wood in Brooklyn.
    - Buy a Bowsaw, dovetail saw, Ray Iles mortising chisel, or hold-downs as an heirloom souvenir

Jog, or walk, the Central Park Reservoir.
    - The view is amazing and you will start to recognize it in just about every NY movie.

See Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" and Monet's huge "Water Lillies" in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

If you make it ot Grand Central Station, find the echo-chamber down by the Oyster Bar. It's this domed intersection of passageways where, if you stand in the corner (facing the corner) and whisper, the person in the opposite corner can hear you clear as day.

Food:
    Eat Paella at "El Poté" (39th and 2nd).
    - I never liked it before.

If semi-cooked fish is an option, try the cod a "Nobu Next Door"
    - Never had anything like it. They drizzle hot oil on the raw fish, which partially cooks it.

For a big fancy night out, try The Rainbow Room or The Rainbow Grille on the 65th (ish) floor of Rockefeller center--beautiful view.

If you go to the Carnagie Deli, take three more people along - one sandwich can feed four people, or provide four meals for you!! A 12" high stack of corned beef or pastrami is not something the faint-hearted should face alone!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Blog Entries

Smile

A round trip on the Staten Island Ferry is nice too & it's free, round trip takes about an hour
    Dennis