Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shop is Up

The Shop is Up

Rather than continue the last thread I thought I'd start a new one now that the building is up. On Tuesday morning the building crew arrived and by Wednesday afternoon my 24' x 40' shop/garage building was framed. It was amazing to see how hard the crew from Tuff Shed worked. Since here on SMC without pictures it didn't happen here goes Day 1.

The trucks arrived and the crew started unloading. Here's a shot of them carrying the first wall section.
    Shop First Wall.jpg

A few hours latter all the walls were up.
    Shop All the Walls are Up.jpg

I thought they would leave it there and start fresh the next day, but the next thing I know they're putting up the gables.
    Shop First gable Goes Up.jpg

By the end of the day at 7:00 p.m. all the trusses are up as well.
    Shop End of Day 1.jpg

Wow, I was able to actually walk through my workspace. It was a fantastic experience.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-25-2008 at 6:21 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Day 2 started with a fine mist over the building with a promise that all the framing would be done by the end of the day.

Shop Early Morning Day 2.jpg

Sooner than I thought the last sheet of roofing plywood was going in.
    Shop Last Sheet fir Roof.jpg

They also framed and cut the opening for the door from the shop to the house. This picture was taken from the laundry room in the house out to the shop.
    Shop From House to Shop.jpg

By the end of the day the framing was completed and ready for the next inspection.
    Shop End of Day 2.jpg

Once the building passes the framing inspection the doors, windows and roof will be added. From what I've been told that takes most of a day. The garage door will be added after all that is done. It will be installed by an independent garage door company.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Allllllllllright.........

Great progress

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That didn't take long!

Looking good!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

WOWSER!!! Just add water...instant shop! That is some nice space in there. Thanks for the photos. I must have lost that you were having Tuff Shed do the building. I do remember some talk about it, but don't remember the final decision I guess.
    How long will it take to get the inspection done? Roofing first, or doors and windows? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Wow...there is obviously great advantage "time wise" with buying a building that has that much pre-fabrication done before you start. (Helps make up for the permitting mischigas, that's for sure!) Before you know it, you'll be trying to figure out where "everything" is going to go...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That's great. Wow. What a jump!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Slightly envious here.....
    Nice FAST start there Don. Might not make up for the eternal wait on the permits, but much better than hounding a contractor daily!

Greg

That's incredible congratulations!

DaveL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    WOWSER!!! Just add water...instant shop! That is some nice space in there. Thanks for the photos. I must have lost that you were having Tuff Shed do the building. I do remember some talk about it, but don't remember the final decision I guess.
    How long will it take to get the inspection done? Roofing first, or doors and windows? Jim.
    I decided on Tuff Shed mainly due to the cost per square foot. It's coming in for about half of a "stick built" building of the same size. Quite frankly I would only have a two car garage if I hadn't gone with a prefabricated building. Building codes made a steel building or pole barn almost impossible for use as a workshop. The quality of the Tuff Shed building is good as well. It's better than the garage I have now on my "tract house."

I'm not certain on the timeline. Since I've had so many delays I just take it from day to day. My contractor is scheduling the inspection for the framing as soon as possible. After it passes, Tuff Shed will schedule the rest. The walk-in doors, windows, shingles and trim should take only another day, according to Tuff Shed. Normally a building the size of mine is a three day job for them.

After their finished my contractor will do the electrical, have a plumber who is certified to install the fire sprinklers install those. Once those have passed all the inspections the insulation and drywall will be scheduled. Hopefully it will be ready for me to paint the interior by Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...there is obviously great advantage "time wise" with buying a building that has that much pre-fabrication done before you start. (Helps make up for the permitting mischigas, that's for sure!) Before you know it, you'll be trying to figure out where "everything" is going to go...
    Yes, Jim the short building timeline does help make up for some of the permit problems. As I mentioned to Jim O'Dell, cost was a major reason for going with Tuff Shed as well. I must say too that the guy at Tuff Shed that has been handling my building has been fantastic. I couldn't have done it without his help throughout the whole process.

I've already changed my arrangement after actually seeing the space and walking through it. Wow, what a thrill.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Congrats Don! I did that 4 years ago and it's like all the Christmases you had as a kid.....rolled into one!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great looking shop Don, now all you have to do is fill it with tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Great looking shop Don, now all you have to do is fill it with tools.
    Unfortunately I already have too many tools, according to SWMBO and with the cost of the shop I won't be buying many for quite some time. I'm sure that over time a "needed" belt or drum sander, router table, etc. will be added, but a good workbench will be the first "tool" that I'll add.

Remember, my custom PT Cruiser will be in the garage portion and taken out only for car shows, cruises and other "special" events. A portion of the building is also designated for storage. So, there isn't as much room as one might think. My shop, however, will be far bigger than my present half of a two car garage shop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Congrats Don! I did that 4 years ago and it's like all the Christmases you had as a kid.....rolled into one!
    You've got that right Ken. I've been dreaming about this shop for many years and can't believe that it's a dream that's coming true.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Just a quick update: It didn't pass inspection. There were a few very minor issues with the framing that need to be corrected, but the project won't be delayed for any length of time. A crew is scheduled to make the corrections on Tuesday.

Oh, the county is also hitting us up for two more permits. We now have to have a permit because the building will have two hose bibs so there is a permit for that. The other permit is one for drywall. Due to the state's budget crisis the county is adding these fees to make up for the loss of state money. The next thing will be a permit for sneezing in my shop because I'm not a quiet sneezer.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps