Thread: Dewalt 735 Planer

Dewalt 735 Planer

Got an offer to get an almost new one for $330 no tax no deliv fee.
    Assuming knives are in good condition, is this a good buy?

It all depends on the condition of the planer. "Almost new" can mean different things. If it's in excellent condition I'd say you have a pending gloat.

The current price on Amazon is $549 which seems to be the "going" price for one these days and they rarely go lower. I may have seen one a little cheaper lately at Lowe's, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-26-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have this planner and like it. FYI the knifes are easy to replace and you can even flip them over since they are sharpened on both sides.

Agree with Don, "it depends". but if it's in good shape, that's a great deal. even if you need to replace the knives and it needs a 'cleaning', that's a good deal. Check the carriage up/down motion, and look for obvious abuse. open the top and check out the inner workings and the blades - you might be able to see if the other edge of the blades are in good shape.

Lowes had them new for $450 at one point, and I used a few "project starter" cards to get it down around 405, but that was a while ago. I've not seen it that cheaply since.

btw, the comments you read about it being L-O-U-D are totally true. it seemed a little better when connected to a DC hose, but then you have the DC going too. ear protection is a must, and make sure anyone else in the house is OK with it...

Thanks. I picked it up at lunch. It looks to be in new condition. No dings; knives are pristine (looking!). He even ran a rough cherry plank through it 4 times and it performed like butter.

I actually found the dc to be really good and it wasn't that loud.

Best of all, the guy's SHOP looked fantastic; meticulous and clean and well organized. So, my gut is that he kept this in good condition.

Bought in Apr 08 for 1 project. Wife thought it was too expensive to keep, so he wanted to get rid of it.

Gloat. Now, how to hide it until LOML isn't looking so I can sneak YALDT (Yet-Another-Loud-Dusty-Tool) down to the basement....

Nice pickup! I think you'll like it. As much as I'd like a bigger one, the 735 is great for the "space constrained".

There's another thread on here about upgrading the 735 to a Shelix head, you might want to check that out if you're ever thinking of upgrading it.

thanks! Will do.

Holbren is selling the Byrd Shelix head for a $339 promotional price until 9/30.
    I ordered mine last week and the waiting time is 4 weeks. The demand caught the
    manufacturer by surprise. A lot of people want one.
    Last edited by peter de tappan; 09-26-2008 at 4:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Thanks. I picked it up at lunch. It looks to be in new condition. No dings; knives are pristine (looking!). He even ran a rough cherry plank through it 4 times and it performed like butter.

So, where are the pictures?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I've got one too. Picked it up from ebay just a month or so ago. Great machine! Congrats!