Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring a new TS motor

Question Wiring a new TS motor

So here I go jumping in head first with my recent TS purchase. I ended up getting a new import motor and machined pulleys. As it so happens, the new motor did not include a wiring diagram or other instructions. Hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

The new motor has quite a few wires and the TS has only a pos, neg, and gnd. I assume the INS on the motor case means that I am supposed to cap off the bare ends of these wires. I'm unclear as to the Line 1 and Line 2 descriptors. Also should I solder the joints and insulate, or use a temporary joint for easy removal for servicing. Also, I need to run it on 110.

I am trying get this done over the weekend, but if worse comes to worse I'll wait until monday and contact the vendor for wiring info. Any help is certainly appreciated though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Fletcher View Post
    The new motor has quite a few wires and the TS has only a pos, neg, and gnd. I assume the INS on the motor case means that I am supposed to cap off the bare ends of these wires. I'm unclear as to the Line 1 and Line 2 descriptors. Also should I solder the joints and insulate, or use a temporary joint for easy removal for servicing. Also, I need to run it on 110....
    Line 1 and Line 2 refers to the black and white input wires coming from the on/off switch. The green wire is the ground wire and will not be used in the motor connection.

To wire the motor for Low Voltage operation, connect the "yel/blk(p1)" wire to either the black or white input wires. Connect the three wires "black(t5)", "white(t2)", and yellow(t4)" to the other input wire.

Connect the other motor wires together in the groups shown in the diagram. Connect "blue(t1)" and "grey(t6)" together in one group, and "red(t8)", "brown(p2)", and "orange(t3)" together in a separate group not connected to the first group or to either input wire. Note: If I've made a typo in this description, go by the diagram on the motor and ignore my description.

I would use wirenuts to make the connections rather than solder or other permanent means. If you do solder the connections together, you need to insulate the connections with something like electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing.

The motor shows a 14.2 FLA at the low voltage so it should be supplied from at least a 20 amp circuit.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 09-26-2008 at 10:08 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Thanks Tom,
    This is a great help. A couple questions though, alternating the black and white wire configurations would result in a reverse running motor, correct? As this is a CW running motor (and cooling fan) is there anything that can tell you which wire should be line 1. Or just T & E?

All the jacks in the garage are 20A, so I should be square.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    The green wire is the ground wire and will not be used in the motor connection.
    I would definitely suggest connecting the ground wire on a 115V application.
    Last edited by Brandon Shew; 09-26-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post
    I would definately suggest connecting the ground wire on a 115V application.
    FWIW, The ground wire was not connected on the original motor. It just lay loosely within the circuit box. Also, I see no gnd wire coming from the motor. Would I just drill, tap, and wrap around a bolt on the case?

Thanks Tom,
    This is a great help. A couple questions though, alternating the black and white wire configurations would result in a reverse running motor, correct? As this is a CW running motor (and cooling fan) is there anything that can tell you which wire should be line 1. Or just T & E?

Reversing the black and white (input) wires will not reverse the motor. To reverse the motor you should interchange the internal red and black wires as shown on the data plate.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post
    I would definitely suggest connecting the ground wire on a 115V application.
    I agree. You should always ground your equipment.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As an electrical engineer, I just wanted to confirm that the previous posters have been correct in their instructions as to the wiring.

Also I agree that your should just tie the wires together with wire nuts (not solder).

To ground it, tie the green wire to the metal junction box somehow. A bolt or self-tapping screw would work fine. Obviously, the junction box ought to be electrically connected to the rest of the metal parts of the saw.

Dan

Christopher, please don't take offence at this but I really think you should have a contractor come in and do it.

Why I make this statement is when you said neg. and pos. when talking about AC and the fact that the motor did not come with a wiring diagram when there is a good one on the motor.

I would just hate to see you hurt yourself or burn up your motor.

Bill - it's always a good idea to be safe about this, but I think the OP can handle it. I agree that the wiring diagram is a little confusing. As long as he isn't touching any live wires, the danger is nearly non-existant, and the risk of damaging the motor so small (and the value of the motor so low), that it wouldn't be worth the cost of an electrician.

For reference, it's not entirely incorrect to say that AC has a positive and negative. For a standard 1-phase AC line, the "hot" is often called positive (keeping the convention with DC systems). The neutral is then, of course, negative. For 240V AC, there is not a positive and negative, though - both lines have 120VAC (with respect to neutral/ground), just 180 degrees out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Christopher, please don't take offence at this but I really think you should have a contractor come in and do it.

Why I make this statement is when you said neg. and pos. when talking about AC and the fact that the motor did not come with a wiring diagram when there is a good one on the motor.

I would just hate to see you hurt yourself or burn up your motor.
    When people ask what to do with all the wires when they install a subpanel, I cringe. They would have to be crazy to do it themselves.

But it is pretty darn simple. Connect the wires as described. Hard to do it wrong, and the worst that can happen is that it burns up.
    I am pretty good with electrical now, but years ago when I knew nothing I wired up a motor almost exactly like this; easy as cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    For reference, it's not entirely incorrect to say that AC has a positive and negative. For a standard 1-phase AC line, the "hot" is often called positive (keeping the convention with DC systems). The neutral is then, of course, negative. For 240V AC, there is not a positive and negative, though - both lines have 120VAC (with respect to neutral/ground), just 180 degrees out of phase.
    That's absolutely incorrect. On any AC circuit, there is no positive or negative except as alternating positive and negative. The fact that one line is connected to ground in the 120V circuit does not make it "negative", even if some people call it that.

Assigning the terms "negative" and "positive" to an AC circuit does nothing to clarify the operation of the circuit.

The more common terms used for a 120V circuit is "hot" for black and "neutral" for white. At least among all my electrical friends.

Mike

[I'm an electrical engineer also and have friends in the power business. I've never heard any of them refer to one side of an AC line as "positive" or "negative" except as a transient state - even the old timers who came up with DC motors (but now design AC systems).]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-27-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Bill,
    I certainly do not take offense to your suggestion, but I am more of a do-it-yourself kind of guy. If I hired someone for everything I was unfamiliar with: 1. I'd would have a rather thin wallet. 2. I would never learn what could often be basic skills. Nonetheless, I do not take safety lightly and value your concern.

Mike, thanks for the clarification concerning the spin direction. I read that instruction on the case several times, and somehow got a bit wrapped around the axle thinking about Line 1 vs. Line 2.

My relative wiring experience has come from car audio installs and such. I was not familiar (obviously) with the wiring instructions given on the case. The biggest ? was with regard to line 1 and line 2. Now that the mystery is solved, I think I can tackle this project.

Thanks to everyone who replied with their input.

FWIW, I have several times incorrectly referred to hot vs neutral as positive vs negative and also been several times corrected. I suppose one of these days it will stick....

Now if you want to know about mechanical turbulence and gravity waves as it pertains to the vertical motions of wind and atmospheric stability, then I'm your man.

Thanks again!

Thanks Tom,

Reversing the L1 and L2 lines will not cause the motor to reverse direction. You're working with alternating current, so there are no positive and negative leads. L1 and L2 reverse polarity 60 times per second so, in effect, from the standpoint of polarity, L1 and L2 reverse themselves continuously. Therefore, it doesn't matter which one you call L1 and which one you call L2, IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.

In circuit wiring of 120v circuits, it definitely makes a difference, but inside the motor, the motor itself can't tell the difference.

I said that the green wire isn't used in the motor connections. That is correct. The green wire is the Equipment Grounding Conductor and does not carry current to power the motor. It will not be connected to any of the wires shown in the motor's wiring diagram. It should however be connected to the motor case and saw chassis to ground those items and provide a path for current to flow to ground should a fault develop inside the motor.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA