Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Oscillating Spindle Sander?

Which Oscillating Spindle Sander?

My fathor is telling me I need to get a spindel sander and he is probably right. He is threating (actually in his cheapness he will) tie up my drill press with getting one of thoes clynder sets and throughing dust all over my shop. Can someone recomend a Oscillating Spindle Sander. Dust collection is important and a bunch of different size spindles or clynders is nice. I don't ned to go overboard here it will be rarely used.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    My fathor is telling me I need to get a spindel sander and he is probably right. He is threating (actually in his cheapness he will) tie up my drill press with getting one of thoes clynder sets and throughing dust all over my shop. Can someone recomend a Oscillating Spindle Sander. Dust collection is important and a bunch of different size spindles or clynders is nice. I don't need to go overboard here it will be rarely used.
    Then you probably won't like my recommendation which is the bench top Jet Spindle Sander. It's a well made tool that works great & has dust collection & a tilt top which has come in handy several times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Then you probably won't like my recommendation which is the bench top Jet Spindle Sander. It's a well made tool that works great & has dust collection & a tilt top which has come in handy several times.

I completely agree. As far as the benchtops go this is the cream of the crop. One note however, since it has a tilting top the dust collection is poor. Just make a 3 sided cover out of MDF to fit over the front when it is at 90 degrees (which it is most of the time), and the dust collection is great. It also is one of the only benchtops that can take a 3" spindle which is the size I use the most.

Delta Boss is nice. At least it was , a shop I worked at had one. Very quiet , almost couldn't hear it running. Metal top , very nice unit IMO.

http://www.tylertool.com/desabospsaki.html

I have the the grizzly 1071 floor model. Bought it used for $400. Have seen others like it for sale around the same price. It has a tone of spindles that are 9" tall.

You may just want the $199 ridgid though and be done with it. Gives you a small belt sander as well.

As Mike sez above,

The 200 dollar Rigid suits us fine.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Another vote for the Ridgid.
    Googlize it and you'll find mostly positive reviews.

I have the Grizzly G0538 http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0538-.../dp/B0000E3HO4 At $150 not a bad deal.

It seems to perform well, is quiet, and has very good DC when hooked to my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Delta Boss is nice. At least it was , a shop I worked at had one. Very quiet , almost couldn't hear it running. Metal top , very nice unit IMO.
    In addition, the dust collection is pretty respectable. Just hooked to a shop vac there's very little dust. The top doesn't tilt like the Jet but it can often be picked up with the full set of spindles tossed in on some pretty decent sales.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You may just want the $199 ridgid though and be done with it. Gives you a small belt sander as well.
    I agree with Mike. I really like the Rigid and it has an oscillating belt sander too.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I looked at all of them and tried the Jet and Delta. I bought a General 15-220 M1 and think it is the most robust of the lot.

Got to agree with all the good comments about the Jet.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have the Grizzly G0538 http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0538-.../dp/B0000E3HO4 At $150 not a bad deal.

It seems to perform well, is quiet, and has very good DC when hooked to my system.
    I think this machine is pretty much the same as the older Ryobi.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

A Vote for the Jet Here

I have the Jet and love it. It has a few more options than the Delta and I have not tried the Grizzley but I am sure it stands up to the name.

Just buy the machine that fits your needs and you will get the best value for your money.

Good Luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have the the grizzly 1071 floor model. Bought it used for $400. Have seen others like it for sale around the same price. It has a tone of spindles that are 9" tall.

Yup. I second Mike's comments, and Per's too. I use the grizzly at work, tough tool that takes up a bit more space than some but has the size and power to tackle big work with ease and small work with grace. Lots of spindle sizes, BIG solid table. You'll have to fashion your own DC scheme if you go with that one.

I own the rigid, nice capable little tool, DC is pretty good with a simple craftsman shop vac or a hose into my main DC system, I use both depending on the situation. I've thrown a larger plywood top over it to support bigger work in a pinch which short circuits the built in dust port. Very worth the price.

I looked at the jet, seems like a good compromise between the floor models and the portable rigid. Seems like the choice depends on the size of your work and the frequency with which you use it as well as the space you have to allocate for it. I needed one I could use in my shop or throw in my van to take on installs, so the rigid fits that bill perfectly.