Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Oscillating Spindle Sander?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Another vote for the Ridgid.
    Googlize it and you'll find mostly positive reviews.
    I've also got the Ridgid and quite like it. Small enough to easily fit on a mobile tool stand, reasonable dust collection with an edge belt sander thrown in. Here in Canada I don't have a Grizzly or Jet distributor, so haven't had the opportunity to look at these machines, but I personnally don't want a floor-standing OSS.

Another vote for the Ridgid. The oscillating belt gets used on mine as much as the spindles.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    You'll have to fashion your own DC scheme if you go with that one.

The big Grizzly floor model does have a 4" dust collection port on it. Works pretty good - could be better with additional dust panels like the mods recommended on the Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Delta Boss is nice. At least it was , a shop I worked at had one. Very quiet , almost couldn't hear it running. Metal top , very nice unit IMO.

http://www.tylertool.com/desabospsaki.html
    I've had one for at least 7 years. I moved to a smaller shop and was going to sell it. Glad I didn't since I need it now and it still works great.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I too have the General 15-220 M, and am very happy with it. It is virtually identical to the Jet. As with the Jet, an optional 3" drum is available. (Stangely, Gerenal doesn't sell an insert for the 3" drum, but the Jet insert--a separate product from the Jet 3" drum--fits fine.) There's a discussion and pic of the General at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87552.

The Ridgid is praised almost universally, but I had one for a short time and was not impressed. Maybe I justed couldn't get past the cheapness of construction.

For a very limited budget, the Triton OSS (sold--for about $100--under various names) is a good buy. It does not have a tilting table, however. Here's a pic:

Triton OSS.jpg

Cary

I have the BOSS and it's a very nice machine. If I were buying today, however, I'd want something like the Jet since it not only has the cast iron table, but the table tilts. There have been a number of times that I had to "jig up" where a tilting table would have served the need. In either case, the machines are nice and reasonable investments...definitely not "over board", in my book!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Different opinion here. You stated you will not be using it very much, so why not a portable one??? I have the Porter Cable hand-held spindle sander (don't remember model number) and it stays in the box 95% of the time. I got an assortment of spindle sizes when I got it, so different radii is no problem.
    Fine Woodworking magazine did a test on spindle sanders and gave the Rigid top honors, so I would also recommend it also.
    At least it beats tying up the drill press all the time.

Ridgid here too....

Can't fault it after 5 years of use. Dust collection is OK.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Different opinion here. You stated you will not be using it very much, so why not a portable one??? I have the Porter Cable hand-held spindle sander (don't remember model number) and it stays in the box 95% of the time. I got an assortment of spindle sizes when I got it, so different radii is no problem.
    That's the PC 121. I had one, and found it a very well-build tool. However, its main utility is in portable use, especially for truing and smoothing counter edges (using an included edging accessory). Considering that it's fairly pricey, requires a table or router table plate for fixed use, and would be awkward or impossible to tilt when in a table, I don't think it's the best solution for someone who has no requirement for portable use.

Cary

I can't make a recommendation since I don't have one . . . . But I have been looking for a nice used floor unit with cast iron, tilting table, and decent amount of vertical oscillation. Why, I really don't know, since I VERY, VERY RARELY have a need for an OSS. So, needless to say, I have not found an standup OSS at a price that matches my minimal needs.

I occasionally use my drill press mounted drums, but, the bearings in a drill press are not designed for lateral loads resulting from using a sanding drum so using it like that will shorten bearing life. You might want to politely inform your dad of this.

Another vote for the Rigid - dust collection is good, not too noisy, sands well, table tilt is nice with miter slot

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    That's the PC 121. I had one, and found it a very well-build tool. However, its main utility is in portable use, especially for truing and smoothing counter edges (using an included edging accessory). Considering that it's fairly pricey, requires a table or router table plate for fixed use, and would be awkward or impossible to tilt when in a table, I don't think it's the best solution for someone who has no requirement for portable use.

Cary
    I have the 121 and a plate to house it from Woodpeckers. It comes in handy but I don't use it all that much. It is easy to store away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I got rid of my Delta disk/belt sander when I bought the Ridgid. I use it all the time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've been thinking about an OSS for so long, I'm almost ashamed to post this.

When the time comes, it will likely be the Jet benchtop for its cast iron top, tilting top and 3" drum capability. But it's probably the most pricey of 'em all.

-Jeff

My Ryobi OSS gave up the ghost yesterday so I bought a Ridgid EB4424 at HD for $199.00. I used it several hours today and it is great (I'm making a carousel horse which requires lots of sanding)! I connected it to a 4" dust collector port and there was very little dust in the shop.