Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Oscillating Spindle Sander?

Yet another vote for the Ridgid Sander. It is very reasonably priced and has lots of options.
    Wood works well with winter

Another vote here for the Rigid. I also have the Ryobi version which worked well for it's purpose. The extra option of making it into a small belt sander has been nice as a bigger piece can be sanded without the scalloping.

FWIW...the Rigid was recently voted Best Value and Best Overall from a recent tool guide. Take it for what it is worth.

You said you will seldom use it and since price is always a function, I might consider a hand held portable. However I think you will find yourself using it more than you think once you see how handy they are. The $200 for the Rigid would be money well spent.

+1 for the Ridgid as well. Handy little rascal!
    "I cut it twice and it's still too short!"

Here come's yet another vote for the Rigid, although I must admit that only about 25% of its use is with the spindle. I LOVE the OBS functionality though. For a lightly used machine, I don't think you can find a better mix of value, flexibility and functionality than this beast.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Well would up witht he Jet, I hate my personality, can't by cheap tools.... I will just have to eat cherios for dinner for the next month.
    -=Jason=-

I have a Delta Boss. It has an effective dust collection system, although I had to make an adapter to fit it to a 2 1/4 inch Shop Vac hose.

Russ

7. On HomeDepo.com, you can buy the Rigid sander for $200 with shipping, or a reconditioned one for $170 with shipping. Which would you go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Bassett View Post
    On HomeDepo.com, you can buy the Rigid sander for $200 with shipping, or a reconditioned one for $170 with shipping. Which would you go for?
    I have that machine, and I do like it.
    I have bought reconditoned tools a few times with good success, but I've read a few bad stories with reconditoned Ridgid tools.
    For the $30.00 dollar difference, I wouldn't do it. IMHO.
    Cheers Shawn.

Well, you guys convinced me. I went out and bought the Ridgid oscillating sander. I got a $25 off promotion from HD and used that to offset some of the cost. I'll let you know how I like it after I've used it a bit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Welcome to the Ridgid OSS club, Mike. Just don't forget to keep the UPC off the box and send it in to Ridgid for your Lifetime Service guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Clifford View Post
    Welcome to the Ridgid OSS club, Mike. Just don't forget to keep the UPC off the box and send it in to Ridgid for your Lifetime Service guarantee.
    Yep, already done. And in the spirit of "no picture - didn't happen" see below.

My shop is getting very crowded.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For those of you who have the Ridgid OSS where do you buy your sanding spindles? Are they available at your local HD or other borg? Or do you have to order them through the Internet? If so where?

Thanks for any pointers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Yep, already done. And in the spirit of "no picture - didn't happen" see below.

My shop is getting very crowded.

Mike
    Well I have to admit that is a nice looking machine. I don't have any orange in my shop, however....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I really like my Ridgid. I find myself using the belt attachment way more often then I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    That's the PC 121. I had one, and found it a very well-build tool. However, its main utility is in portable use, especially for truing and smoothing counter edges (using an included edging accessory). Considering that it's fairly pricey, requires a table or router table plate for fixed use, and would be awkward or impossible to tilt when in a table, I don't think it's the best solution for someone who has no requirement for portable use.

Cary
    I guess its just how you look at it? I do agree it seems a little pricey for what it is but for something that will only see limited use, it seems to make more sense to me for a home WW'er with limited space. Most of us need another stationary tool like we need another hole in our head. IMO, bench top tools are not that much easier to store or work around.

The key benefit to the PC 121 IMO is that it can be installed into your router table when needed and then stored away in a draw when not. The fact that you have the option to use it "off site" if needed is just a bonus. Installing it in a router table will probably give you the advantage of having a larger support table then you would get with even the larger floor standing OSS's. The only down side I can see is no tilting table and I have no idea how well the dust collection works, especially table mounted? Price wise, while not as inexpensive as the Ridged, it is a lot less then the Jet bench top OSS.

Mind you, I don't have any of them but have seriously considered the PC 121 and those where my thoughts on it. If I'm wrong or missing something, please fill me in?