Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder plane help?

Shoulder plane help?

I need to get a shoulder plane
    I've been trying to get one on ebay and keeping my eye on Walt's and Sandy's sites, but no luck.

Would buying a newly made Stanley 93 be a good choice? or should I save up some more and buy a LV medium (or maybe one of those premium stanley's coming out?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    James

1 vote for LV

I needed a shoulder plane and bought the LV medium as a bit of splurge since I had a windfall at the time. Seriously, I think it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It has been incredibly useful and it is a very well made tool. Worth the investment.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely agree with Chris.

You know the old saying : buy a good tool and cry when you pay for it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it.

I acquired mine as a Christmas present from my wife.

James - If you're going to buy only one shoulder plane, go for one in the medium/large range. I have several record/preston clones (clifton 410, 3110, ln 073). of those, I'd pick the 3110 as most versatile, since it can do bullnose work as well. The LN 073 clone is very heavy -- not good for smaller tenons. My largest (in width, at 1 1/8", but not in weight -- the LN is the king there) is my shepherd tool works (spiers clone) large shoulder plane kit, and its also my favorite. Shepherd Tool went out of business a couple of years ago, unfortunately. I've never used one, but the lv shoulder planes look really cool. If you buy new, and can afford it, I'd go with one of the larger lv offerings (based only on my happy experience with their other tools)
    -regards,
    bill

Hi James,

Pass on the newer Stanley 93 and save up for a LV or LN. My preferance is the LV med shoulder.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Hi James,

Pass on the newer Stanley 93 and save up for a LV or LN. My preferance is the LV med shoulder.
    I agree with Brent. I had a Stanley 93 and was not satisfied with it. I later purchased the LV medium shoulder plane and it was wonderful.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Lee Valley Medium Shoulder plane. It is one of the best engineered, best manufactured and best performing tools I have ever used. And to top it off, it is one pretty tool. ;-).

/p

Blog Entries
    Let's see, does that make me the 6th vote for LV or the seventh? I have the medium and love it. A large would be nice but not at the loss of my medium. Hmmm, Christmas is coming soon, right?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ok, LV medium it is then, I'll just save a bit more and get the OK from the LOML

I'll post back after I get it and play... err.. work with it for awhile

Thanks
    James

You won't be sorry. I'm a 95% power tool guy, but I do have a thing for planes. The first time I used my LV medium, I wondered how I ever manged to work without it. It's now one of my most used planes.

Do you folks also use your shoulder planes on the cheeks of tenons? How about other non-shoulder uses? I see one in my future, but I'd like to get an idea as to its versatility, if any.

I was nearly ready to buy one, when I got to pick one up and was saddened to find it did not fit my hand very well. The hole is a little far for my somewhat stubby finger to reach. I'm not sure what to do, given that this shoulder plane gets 99% of the yes votes.

Just my opinion, but I don't use shoulder planes on the cheeks of tenons. The reason is that it's difficult to hold the tool to get an even-thickness shaving, and after several passes you wind up with one side of the tenon narrower than the other (i.e. - a trapezoid shape rather than a rectangle when you look at the end of it).

Instead, I use a float. Lie-Nielsen makes several varieties, and I use the plane-maker's type, simply because I have one and didn't want to spring for both that and the joinery float. I find these tools to be much easier to use to thin out a tenon, as the length makes it easier to hold it horizontal.

I use mine on tenons, both the cheeks and the shoulders. I also use it to clean up the backside of lips on lipped drawers, any kind of 90 degree mating on moldings or drawer fronts, adding a tiny rabbet to the inside of the tail board on dovetail joints, relieving the bottom of drawer fronts for proper gaps, the list goes on. I thought it would be more specialized that what it actually turned out to be.

If you're a Fine Woodworking member, there's a good article here:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=27126

I apologize for a tag on question but I see that most of you are recommending the LV over the LN. The prices between the 2 are pretty close so I'm guessing most of you feel the LV is the better tool? If so, why do you feel that way?