Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Saw Purchase

Circular Saw Purchase

I would like to replace my very old and cheap Sears Circular Saw which I use for cutting sheet goods. (I hate cutting sheets of plywood trying to keep everything square) Anyway, I've got my eye on the Milwaukee 6394-21. It has gotten good ratings in Amazon. Does anybody have one and do you like it? (If I were to get bailed out like the stock market I would get the Festool saw and guide)

I have both the makita and a dewalt 368 7 1/4". I like them both, the dewalt a bit more power. Makita a little less price. The dewalt has positve locking position for bevel cuts.
    Last edited by Matt Ocel; 09-27-2008 at 8:03 PM.

I have the Festool TS55 and love it. However, it is pricey.

If you can't get the Festool, I have a Bosch worm-drive and love it. The heavy weight of the saw makes it very easy to keep the saw tight against a straight-edge when sizing sheets of plywood. Also easy to see the cut line because the blade is easy to see (like it is on most worm drives).

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kelley View Post
    I would like to replace my very old and cheap Sears Circular Saw which I use for cutting sheet goods. (I hate cutting sheets of plywood trying to keep everything square) Anyway, I've got my eye on the Milwaukee 6394-21. It has gotten good ratings in Amazon. Does anybody have one and do you like it? (If I were to get bailed out like the stock market I would get the Festool saw and guide)

If you're not ready to take the Festool plunge, take a serious look at the Skil HD5510.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.gif[/img]

My local Menards sells them for $113.

For breaking down sheet goods and for most other woodworking tasks, the 1-1/2" capacity at 90° capacity of this saw is adequate. The light weight and left-blade design is very handy.

Prior to this, I had a nice pro-grade Makita. It was good too, but much too big & heavy for my typical woodworking tasks. I don't crosscut 4x4s very often.

If you decide to go with another saw, such as some Makitas & Milwaukees, don't buy one with an aluminum shoe. Most edge guides are aluminum, and there's something about aluminum that when it rubs against itself, it just binds up.

I'm super-happy with my Skil HD5510.

(I sold my Makita 7-1/4" 13A to my brother for $75, with the agreement that I could borrow it in a circumstance when I really needed it.)

Tom, I had that saw, used it to break down panels just as you propose. I liked it very much - except for the saw dust discharge - this is a typical problem with circular saws - not when used on a job site but certainly when used in a wood shop where you find dust control becoming more of an issue than the model of the saw. Try to find a saw with an adjustable saw dust discharge that will also allow you to hook up a vac of some sort or at least direct it as you please. Of course, that leads to the Festool saws and that is just what I replaced my Milwaukee with when I got tired of eating dust - but I waited until I found a used saw that fit my budget. You may find a used Festool for twice what you pay for a new Milwaukee but it should come with at least the larger rail and you will thank the day that you made the choice - of course, you are then hooked and that will lead to other purchases of Festool stuff - and even the accessories can break the bank.

By the way - if you find a used CT22 "dust extractor" let me know - that is next on my list. See what I mean?
    Semper Fi

My suggestion is to check out the stability of the saw when it has 1/4" of the blade exposed. If the adjuster is weak the saw has the ability to cut out of square. Don't ask me how I know about this, but, a hint is I cut a circle with my CS saw with a small amount of the blade exposed. By the way, the board was only 8" wide.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

I use the Skil worm drive with the blade on the left. Weighs a ton but still a great saw and if you shop you can get it for a good price.
    David B

I had a Makita 5007MGA and liked it so much I sold it and got a 5008MGA. The 5007 is about the same price as the Milwaukee you listed. The Makita is a very smooth runner - I use mine on a rail cutting system. It has an LED light that isn't very functional for cutting but I like it because it reminds me the saw is connected to a power source. If you don't need a brake on the saw look at Amazon they have a saw by Worx that is a steal at under $60.

Mike

9. Tom, I have two of the Milwaukee 6394-21 saws. One is set up for my EZ-Smart system. At this it excels. The shoe is adjustable. The handle's angle to the saw is adjustable. The power cord is detachable if for some reason you need to remove it. The other saw is for general purpose stuff. This saw cuts through anything. 2" pavers with a diamond blade. No problem. Three sheets of 3/4" plywood. No problem. This saw has never come up against a material it can't handle. Just make sure you use the appropriate blade for the task at hand.

Robert

Hello,
    I would like to replace my very old and cheap Sears Circular Saw which I use for cutting sheet goods. (I hate cutting sheets of plywood trying to keep everything square)
    Let me second or third or fourth, the Festool TS 55EQ - or an EZ if you prefer.

A GSS honestly does take the frustration out of cutting sheet goods.
    It's not all that out of line, price wise, compared to the alternatives - panel saw & cabinet saw &/or any of the sliding attachment for a TS,,,etc - there's a long list of them.

I was all set to pull the trigger on building a Shop Notes shop made panel saw. It offered the most in the way of features for my needs.
    When I totaled up all the costs involved, materials, new circ saw - the amount of space needed for it (which would have involved tearing out some things I'd already put in place - to make room for it)
    The $678.00 price tag (saw extra 42" rail, clamps, connectors & tax) wasn't out of line in the least.

BTW - I also picked up a Diablo blade (~ $15.00 at HD) for my Ryobi circ saw. That - plus some cutoffs from the TS 55EQ, have breathed new life into the Ryobi. There's some materials - MDF & Melamine for instance - that I really don't care to run through a $500 saw with a $50 blade.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have the Skil 6.5" worm drive in aluminum. I also have the Milwaukee magnesium worm drive. Hands down I would buy the Milwaukee again given the choice. The aluminum saw weighs a ton compared to the Milwaukee. I use the Skil to score stone and concrete. I hate it for wood.

I would like to give a vote to the Makita 5007MG. Magneseium base and LED work lite. I am very pleased with this saw. The work lite makes life a pleasure. Also the 2-1/2" cut depth makes a difference if you are using a saw guide system like the EZ Smart.

James

DeWalt has introduced, or will soon introduce, a plunge circular saw with guided rail system that will be substantially less than the Festool. I'd check that out.

I have the Festool system and it is great for breaking down plywood--if you lay it out right you can cut it right. And get edges as nice as from the table saw, so no rough cut-final cut process needed.

Tom, I also have two of the Milwaukee 6394-21 saws.

Bought one for the construction of my shop. The second came as a free tool from Amazon when I ordered a multi-tool set. The free one, is factory reconditioned. I can't tell the difference in the two.

I cut 3/4" T&G flooring, 5/8" particleboard underlayment, 1/4" siding for the construction of the shop.

Since then I have cut 3/4" MDF (dusty!), 3/4" maple ply, Oak fence board, 6/4 - 5/4 - 4/4 Hard/Soft Maple.

Have not had one bit of problems with any of it.

I would have loved to have bought a festool, but had a baby on the way (he is 11 weeks old now - gloat! ), and money was definitely an option.

I would have no hesitation in buying the Milwaukee again.

Josh

I have a Porter Cable with the motor on the right. Since I'm right handed it's easier to see the blade for me. The saw is fairly light and has a brake for the blade. I don't us the saw much but when I do I enjoy the above features.