Thread: Chinese Elm oil candle

Chinese Elm oil candle

This turned out to be a pretty piece of wood. Chinese (piss) elm with some of the yellow sapwood. It had a few knots too. It lived up to it's name while turning it too. About 6" x 4", oiled and lacquered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Curt! I like the flaired lip! Nice form, great colors and finish! At first glance I thought this was walnut - never seen elm this dark before! I think I like this form better than the one with the inserted/raised lip. This one the form flows better - IMHO.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Typical color for Siberian Elm Steve, unlike water Elm AKA piss Elm, I have no first hand experience with Chinese Elm as it is a subtropical Elm and quite restricted where it grows in the US, unlike Siberian Elm that grows all over, and there's one growing here in front of my sons place in Atikokan (N.Ontario)
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Typical color for Siberian Elm Steve, unlike water Elm AKA piss Elm, I have no first hand experience with Chinese Elm as it is a subtropical Elm and quite restricted where it grows in the US, unlike Siberian Elm that grows all over, and there's one growing here in front of my sons place in Atikokan (N.Ontario)
    Leo, this is probably Siberian Elm if Chinese Elm is a subtropical variety. I've heard it referred to as both, the Chinese Elm just came to mind first.This stuff grows like a weed here in Utah. But it does have some nice colors.

Great looking peice Curt. I to thought that was Chinese Elm. Here in Kansas that is all I have known these Elms we have.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Curt, Yes I do think that's what you have there, I have a pretty big one growing behind my place in London Ontario, takes two tall grown ups to touch hands encircling it.
    I'm not to keen on that tree, but it gives good shade in the summer, and I can't wait for another tree to grow big enough to sit in its shade, so it is safe for that reason only ;-)).
    The Siberian Elm does grow like a weed around there also, even here in N. Ontario it grows quite well, not a pretty tree ever, but I do like the wood for turning, more so than American Elm or Slippery Elm, but my favorite Elm is Rock Elm, always was quite rare, and with the Elm disease there are even fewer around.
    The Siberian Elm is not affected by the disease, but does have problems with leave eating bugs, I better stop rambling on, trees etc. are one of my favorite objects, in more ways than one ;-))))
    Have fun and take care

Bernie a quick look at this link will show you the bark etc from a Chinese Elm, that will show you if what you have is Chinese Elm or not, no mistaking about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_parvifolia

The US forest service does give it a much more hardiness than my previously info indicated, you can find that info here.

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/ULMPARA.pdf
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 09-29-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo. The bark on ours doesn't look like that one so I guess I would have to say it looks like Siberan Elm. Appreciate it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful piece. The detail around the lip makes this piece in my opinion. Great job!
    Mike Vickery

so very beautifull..... love the color and the idea!!!! super cool!!!! thanks for posting...