Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best little disk sander?

best little disk sander?

Well it has become apparent I am going to be doing alot of sanding as i learn turning. So my lathe is basically a thing to rotate a log as I sand it Anyhow I need a little disk sanding system. I can use air or electric can someone recomend one?
    -=Jason=-

Jason I just bought a small angle drill for $29. I use it all the time. I figured when it went I could buy another since this one is a couple years old from Harbour Freight.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

inertia sanders

Jason,

Power sanders are good but have a look at inertia sanders. They can perform very well and have the addded advantage of not needing any power to drive them.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...__Sanders?Args=
    neil

The wooden Potter

jason
    Bernie is right just go to HF and get one of those drills ..the angle drill works great but then for the sanding go some where like woodcraft or other turner supply and get the round 2 1/2 disk's and arbor for the drill
    They make one's with whats called a power lock system or velco type ...ive used both and like the velco better ...mainly if u get a drill with reverse the velco stays on the power lock type does not

I prefer the angle drills to the straight or 90 degree drills. Also, I prefer electric to pneumatic. My pneumatic sander keeps the compressor running non stop. Great for the winter when the shop is cooler, but bad for the summer. Also, it is a lot cheaper to run the little drill than the compressor. As far as sanding discs go, the ones from VincesWoodNWonders.com are the best deal out there. They last longer, and the price is cheap. I never tried the inertial sanders. Too often I have to stop the lathe and sand a trouble spot that hand sanding didn't take care of. This is a lot easier to do with a power sander. The bearings in the angle drills do go eventually. They are drills, not grinders. I got one of the cheap ones, and it lasted about a month before giving up. It wasn't the bearings, it was the casing of the drill that failed. I use the more expensive Milwaukee/Sioux drills. I can get about 450 bowls out of one before the bearings are gone. I do blow it out very often while sanding, but the dust will work its way into the bearings eventually. I have tried fancy bearings, and they didn't seem to last any longer than the factory ones.
    robo hippy

Dust in Souix/Milwaukee

Try putting the filters that are available for floor vents over the intake ports on the drill. I use masking tape and change often and also blow out the ports frequently. The sealed bearings from Boca Bearing tind to last a lot longer than others.

Hi Jason
    I use all 3, most of the time I use a regular drill, the cheapest I can find, like some that come on special for 15 bucks.
    Then I also have but don't use often, a Milwaukee angle drill, (not the right angle drill) I use it for deeper and narrower bowls/vases where the regular drill isn't able to do the job.
    Then a homemade inertia sander is used sometimes also, works quite well on the outside and inside walls also, but on the bottom it is hard to impossible to keep the disk spinning, I still have to use the power sander there, so you see there's room for all, what hasn't been mentioned yet is to keep your speeds down, both drill and lathe speed, I have learned in my 50 years of turning that high speeds is not the way to go, HTH
    Have fun and take care

Neil is right on the money with his post. I made several inertia sanders using 1/4" all thread, 1" dowel rod and rollerblade wheels. I have one for each grit, and a couple of extras. That way i don't have to change disks with each grit change. They are what I use 90-95% of the time.
    I have a Sioux angle drill that I use for getting to one spot of tearout sometimes, but that's about it for the electric powered.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Hi Allen
    I remember that picture you put up on WC, was a couple of years ago I think, I still have that picture but never got to make the whole set as you did and the box to go with it, I'm still using the one I had and just change sandpaper disks, oh well maybe someday
    Have fun and take care

Jason

I use a Grip angle drill from Overstock.com. It was $39 and it has been going strong for a couple of years. It even has a reverse.

Here's the link: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...0/product.html

Dennis

Jason,

Neil and Allen said it for me, I like my inertia sander and it does a fine job on everything I need. I also sometimes hand sand (on-lathe/powered) but never use a drill or anything. Between a bit of palm sanding and inertia sander, it seems to finish very nicely most of the time.

Best to you,

Jude

Harbor Freight right angle drill
    Inertia sander
    Grex 2" ROS
    Hand sanding

All four get used in my shop, depending on the circumstances.

Allen,

How about posting a picture of the sander you made?

Regards, Steve

I use a Souix angle drill for power sanding currently. If I ever wear it out, I'll probably consider the Grex pneumatic since I have air at the lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason, and everybody!

I use a cheap 1/4 in drill with a soft foam velcro pad. For my inertia sander, I use the PSI because it has ball bearings, not metal on metal of the Sorby.
    Bob