Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drill/Driver

One other consideration, if you like your current Rigid tool, is to simply replace it with a new Rigid lithium tool, complete with free lifetime battery replacement.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I've had a Panasonic 15.6V for many years now and like it so well that I had the old batteries rebuilt....
    Best cordless drill I've ever had. The original batteries on mine are still alive and kicking tho. If I need something with any more power I just grab the CMan corded drill.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I thought Rigid tools had a lifetime guarantee, including batteries. Did you buy yours before this came out?

Rick Potter
    Don't get me started on this with Ridgid! It seems that Ridigid and I have a different idea as to what the word "Lifetime" means. I was thinking they were talking about MY lifetime, they seem to think it means the tool's lifetime, which, according to them, is only about 3 years. Also, those receipts printed on thermal paper seem to have disappearing ink on them. The receipt I diligently saved for just this purpose now looks like a blank piece of paper tape.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

check these out...

Larry,

I must agree about the makitas being good, I have used the 18v lion set for almost the last two years professionally, without incident. I did purchase two extra batteries to have three tools running while 1 charges (zero down time). I am thinking of adding these to the quiver:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Been looking at the Bosch like this, but this is basically two tools for one.
    Just thought you might consider these in you research.

Jason

Ridgid Drills

I looked at the Makita, but wanted a high-speed drill for wood and a slow-speed drill for screws. Cost was a minor consideration. I could not find one anywhere so I bought a low-cost Ridgid corded drill for drilling wood and a 12v Ridgid cordless with 2 batteries for screwing. The lifetime warranty made my decision.

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
    The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner.

Unfortunately, it looks like when I die, taking my tools with me means they will no longer be warranteed.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Don't get me started on this with Ridgid! It seems that Ridigid and I have a different idea as to what the word "Lifetime" means. I was thinking they were talking about MY lifetime, they seem to think it means the tool's lifetime, which, according to them, is only about 3 years. Also, those receipts printed on thermal paper seem to have disappearing ink on them. The receipt I diligently saved for just this purpose now looks like a blank piece of paper tape.

That has been a problem with the heat-activated paper since they were introduced. Whenever I buy something (DVD player, TV, tools, etc.) I always make a copy on my computer printer of it, for just that problem. I have a set of used Bose speakers I bought on clearance, and they carry the 10 year warranty, so I am using them as much as possible, so that if they are going to wear out, it will be in the warranty period.

Though I too thought that a "Lifetime" warranty was just that. Good to know that before I buy a bunch of new tools.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I just purchased the Makita 10.8 V combo palm drill-impact drive kit at HD for $179 as an introductory price. I have not let the impact driver leave my hand in about a week. The Lithium says charged much longer and is extremely light as both drills weight about 2 lbs. I was looking at the small palm Bosch at around $124 until Makita released this drill-impact driver set.

I love the Lithium and it's the best $179 I have spent in years. I got $25 off by signing up for a HD credit card which doesn't have the Home Depot on front and is not orange. Just a regular CC they now offer in conjunction with a CC company at a lower %. So.. the set cost me $154.

I am not really concerned about the article link after having a few standard battery tools. I love the Lithium.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I did see a recent pgm about battery powered cars and the Japanese have developed one that beat a 911 Porsche in going from 0 to 75 by 3 seconds. It uses lithium ion batteries which they said are still under development. The cost of those batteries is over $20,000 FWIW.

Stan, which cordless drill/drivers do the $20k batteries fit?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I have the Makita LI-on set. The drill is the lightest I could find with a standard chuck, and the driver is even smaller with the hex driver chuck. They both are amazing tools. The LION seems to provide power indefinately. and then charges in 15 minutes. I love using the impact driver for putting in screws. (it is noisy though)
    I looked at almost everything before settling on these. My selection criteria was weighted toward LI-On and weight of tool.
    I also like my Bosch mini drill/driver with hex chuck.

Good Luck.
    John

Larry, I wouldn't worry much about the cost of re-building battery packs. I think those days are numbered. Li-Ion packs have circuitry in them to protect from shorts & fires. You'll likely need to buy new ones in the even the Li-Ions die.

On the other hand, I've found that I only charge my Li-Ion packs about 1/5 as often, since I only charge them when I run them down, instead of charging them every time I need them because they go dead on the shelf. They should last a good long time.

Take a look at the Ryobi One+ system next time you're in Home Depot. They had a kit with the drill, charger, 2 batts. and flashlight for $180 when I got mine, and I think they're less than that now. I added the impact driver ($70) and still came out under what Makitas cost at the time. I've been very happy with the quality.

The Ryobi is 2.4 Ah and has the longest running time in this class. As you mentioned, it takes a lot to wear it down and charging time isn't really an issue. (even when it takes an hour)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Booher View Post
    WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
    The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner.

Unfortunately, it looks like when I die, taking my tools with me means they will no longer be warranteed.
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    This is NOT the way it used to be. About 6mos ago when I tried to get a new battery for the one that had died, I was was told by the "Customer Service" rep, that lifetime meant the life of the tool, which was 3 years, so apparently I did not need the blank sales receipt anyway because my tool had exceeded it lifetime. So maybe, my rantings has caused a change to their dictionary. (yeah, right!)
    Plus, what is this thing called "Lifetime Service Agreement" what happened to the warranty? Do you have to pay extra for this?

After my experience with Ridgid I guess I am VERY skeptical of these manufacturer warranties that they publish. I thought the same as you when I bought the cordless drill. Please let us know what your experience is with them when you try to use that "Lifetime Service Agreement".
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-29-2008 at 6:02 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry, my brother (also Larry) had a bad experience with Ridgid CS. He had a new 12 V NiCd drill with clutch problems. He had only owned it for a month or two, and had hardly used it.

He sent it in, but he had to pay $30 "until they determined whose fault it was." Needless to say, they determined it was not their fault. The fixed the drill, and returned it to him with stripped screw holes in the cases, so there is now a permanent gap where the case halves come together.

That was his first & last Ridgid tool. Despite that, I bought a Ridgid table saw & jointer, and have been very happy with them.

This corporate "Me first and everyone else later" mentality is killing us.

You can't beat the set of TWO, 12V LI drills from Ridgid. But you MUST fill out the paperwork for the lifetime service agreement. When mailing, get a certificate of mailing ($1.10). This is proof that you mailed it in in time. I bought the single drill with two batteries last winter, and recently bought the two pack (two drills, two batteries, and one charger) for $129, which is the same as I paid for the single drill, with two batteries. I really like these little drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Larry, take a look at the Bosch PS40-2 impact driver. We have two, and they are our go-to tools! At 2.2 lbs., it's the lightest in the field.
    I have to agree. I have all three of the Bosch PS drivers and they are great. Their small driver is stashed in the top drawer of my lathe bench for attaching and removing faceplates. And, I love the angle driver for inside of cabinets and cupboards. But, the impact driver is a jack of all trades. I broke loose my axle nuts on a brake job the other day with that tool. Before that I was driving 4" long decking screws into a redwood planter I built in the spring.

All of my cordless tools are lithium ion's made by bosch.

Ridgid's Lifetime service agreement covers ONLY the batteries that came with the tool, then you must be fortunate enough to find a decent service center that is on their list, and not just going to see if the battery takes a charge (doesn't hold it).

There was a big write up on another board, and they NEVER responded to me about can I get the lifetime service agreement on extra batteries (my tool came with one).
    When you sign up for it (and are accepted), you get a number that you need for it. It is a pain.

That said, I looked at several when I bought mine. I had four choices, Makita, Ryobi, Bosch and Panasonic. I like aspects of the Ryobi, but tend to use them harder then that is designed for. Finding batteries for the Bosch and only knowing two people who had them (same model, so I didn't get much of a feel), killed that. It came down to between the Makita Li and the Panasonic, NiMH. I went with the Panasonic 15.6 with the 3.5ahr batteries and love it. I would have no problem with the Makita's but if I really need 18v or more, I prefer to grab a corded drill.

Now I have and use also, the Bosch PS40, and am still one of the 10,000 or so, awaiting their ps20. I would HAPPILY take their new PS30 (ps20 with a chuck), as it makes a great portable drill.

To my knowledge, Ridgid ONLY has the lifetime warranty on their shop vacs (current) and had the lifetime warranty on their old all grey tools. They changed to the lifetime service agreement (with hoops) after that.