This SCMI/Samco Unilev 15 arrived at my shop last week. I'll be using it with a power feeder to sand edges. I'm working on an attachment that will let me work to a final dimension with precision. This type of sander is more popular in Europe than here in the US. I haven't come across many of these, so I thought that I would share some pics.

Rather than a long platen, this has a shorter 36" platen open on one side. The other side has a jointer type offset fence and strip platen, about 1-1/2" wide. The driven drum on the end can be used for inside curves. For tighter inside curves, there is a set of spindles that mount in the drum, along with a table to raise the work. I got lucky in that this machine still had the accessory spindles and wrenches. It even has an inflatable drum type, that I mounted for the pics. The dust hood is made to position wherever it will do the most good. I find it too big and will probably get/make a few magnetic hoods for faster repositioning.

The entire belt assembly cranks up and down to use the entire belt. It is surprisingly rigid (the whole machine is 900 lbs). The strip platen is similar to a widebelt platen: It adjusts in/out and has a felt pad, steel flap platen (like a handheld belt sander), and graphite cloth wear surface. I may need to go to a harder pad for the light dimensioning work that I want to do with it. The table on this side is covered in plastic laminate and tilts up 45 degrees for bevels.

The control panel rotates to whatever side you are working on. It has a 2 speed motor switch, and controls for the pneumatics that tension the belt and activate the oscillation. The oscillation is limited on the bottom by an air jet. The pressure of the jet and oscillation piston controls the height and speed of motion. I'm not sure yet if this has any significant advantages over a mechanical linkage other than being less fussy with belt changes. The drive motor is 4.8HP, so there will be plenty of power . . .