Thread: HELP with Shop Layout

HELP with Shop Layout

OK, I am new here but have read and learned here for a little while.
    I have a basement shop that I am wanting to set up. I will list the equipment I have and show a blank shop as well as how I have it now. I am hoping for a better layout or ideas on how to better use the space I have.
    One note: I have two metal working machines that are big and heavy so I hope to keep them where they are, but if it makes sense to move them, I will.

first is the blank shop footprint.

next is the way I have it now.
    The list of equip goes like this:
    1) metal lathe 78”x33” 2) Bridgeport Mill 62x62 3) Work bench 60x30.5
    4)Delta Rad Arm saw 24x36 5) Drill press 17x29 6) Floor mounted drum sander 16x21
    7)**Band saw 34x28 8)Mini wood Lathe 32x18 9)** Powermatic table saw 84x48
    10)**Cabinet 25x24 11)Dust Collector 22x38 12)**Surface planner 21x32
    13) Work bench (note: I have two of these this size but only show one as I don’t know where to put both of them) 28x60 14)**Powermatic Jointer 31x48
    ** means that this machine is on a mobile base.

I really don’t want to move/roll the table saw around a lot even though it is on a mobile base, but am open to your ideas.

thank you for your help.

You may get a better response if you convert your layout to feet. Tough to visualize your space when thinking in inches.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

I will see what I can do, and will repost

are you running permanently installed runs from your DC? Might want the drum sander closer if not. Same with the tablesaw, otherwise no biggie.

Not sure of your outfeed on the tablesaw, might have a portable bench (or permanent one) butted up to it to help there. Just have to make sure to keep from storing stuff on it (but I store stuff on everything hehe, BAD habit).

You already have the electricity worked out? looks like you have a lot of things that use 220,, probably going to need a sub panel.

You have room in there for storing stock and things like paint and finish? What's the ceiling height?

THat's about it off the top of my head, nice size shop and good thoughts on placement so far.

Shaddy

See? 100% better response.

Nice space you have there. One piece of advice I'd give would be to put the jointer on one of the long walls, either under "13" or in place of "5/6/7". Even though it's on wheels you could minimize some moving around by doing that.

Regarding the table saw, I like where you have it but I'd turn it around so the blade is at the other side. You'll need more room for wide stock.

Layout looks pretty good though. Consider wood storage, and sheet goods.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Shaddy Dedmore View Post
    are you running permanently installed runs from your DC? Might want the drum sander closer if not. Same with the tablesaw, otherwise no biggie.

Not sure of your outfeed on the tablesaw, might have a portable bench (or permanent one) butted up to it to help there. Just have to make sure to keep from storing stuff on it (but I store stuff on everything hehe, BAD habit).

You already have the electricity worked out? looks like you have a lot of things that use 220,, probably going to need a sub panel.

You have room in there for storing stock and things like paint and finish? What's the ceiling height?

THat's about it off the top of my head, nice size shop and good thoughts on placement so far.

Shaddy
    I will be running permant runs for my DC. This is one reason I want to get my shop layout right the first time.

I am building an outfeed table that will bolt to the back side of the saw but that can be removed when not needed. I hope to have it finished this weekend. It is a two leg design using the saw as a support where the other two legs would be.

power is run and I have a already have a sub panel on the wall in the corner by the Bridgeport Mill

Wood storgage is in a heated and AC garage (the double doors lead to that). Ceiling height is a sour spot. The guys that put in the drop ceiling did it to 7' 10" so I can not get a 8' board upright in the shop.

thanks for the thoughts. I really can't wait to get this shop up and running. Storage cabinets built, DC in place etc,etc, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by John Willoughby View Post
    Ceiling height is a sour spot. The guys that put in the drop ceiling did it to 7' 10" so I can not get a 8' board upright in the shop.
    Would it be worth it for you to take out the drop ceiling?

I wish I could raise the ceiling. After the guy installed the ceiling, other contractors came in with duct work and pipe and placed it right up against the framework all along the long wall in the shop. This stuff runs half way across the shop.
    When I had the house built, I had two extra rows of blocks laid so that all the ducting etc would have plenty of room and I would still have an 8 ft ceiling. So much for pre planning. It would cost a mint to have the AC and gas line reworked as well as having to get the ceiling raised. I have learned to live with it being less than 8ft but it sure would have been nice to have.

First -I'm envious of your space!
    One thing to think about is work patterns. When wood comes in for flatwork you often joint one face and edge first, then plane to thickness and then cut to width, though not so much if you are buying sanded 4 sides. Place the jointer and plane on the long wall near the double doors to expedite this.

Those of us that do spinny things use the sharpening station, bandsaw, and drill press as go-to tools near our lathe, so cluster those together in a work group, and think about angling the lathe.

Also think about project assembly and finishing, they need their own areas.

John, one thing I would do is to plan out the usual process used when a new board comes in the shop. I like to come in my main door, and be able to lay a board on the chop saw table for marking and initial sizing. It's much easier to have a straght shot at that tool, than weaving around everything else with a ten foot long board. Pretty much the deeper you get in my shop, the farther along the building process.