Thread: sander for lathe

sander for lathe

trying to come up with a plan to make a sander for 12" wood discs for lazy susans. found a 5 inch disc sander using hook and loop sanding pads. have looked in vain for a bigger disc for sanding. have a midi lathe so can't be too large. any help appreciated

You could make your own 12" sanding disc and use the 12" sandpaper disc you put on a 12" sander (i.e. Jet 12" disc sander). Mount it to a face plate and use it on your lathe. Not sure what you are after, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Meek View Post
    You could make your own 12" sanding disc and use the 12" sandpaper disc you put on a 12" sander (i.e. Jet 12" disc sander). Mount it to a face plate and use it on your lathe. Not sure what you are after, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Good luck.
    That's a good idea. I'd have to build a "platform" that would be square to the disk and would attach to the lathe bed. But it's definitely something to think about.

Of course, it's always a pain to set up and tear down something like this but I don't have room for a dedicated tool.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've done this by attaching a scrap piece of wood to a face plate, and gluing sandpaper to the piece of wood. For the table, it's pretty trivial to rig up something that will either sit on the bed of the lathe or mount to the banjo.

sander for lathe

thanks wilbur for the faceplate idea. solves the problem of a disc. am limited cause i only have a 10" throw. probably will attach hook and loop to the disc so i can change paper easier. thanks again

yep, what they said,
    if you seal the wood with shellac, you can also use the peel and stick type.

Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...