Thread: honing stone

honing stone

Ok I just got my first scraper I have been watching videos on how to sharpen it and I am ready to attempt it however I do not have a honing stone, so i searched and found rockler had this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details however I do not know if i should get fine or coarse or if I should get a completely different stone. On David Marks site he recommends a japenese sharpening stone and three different grits 800 then 1200 then 6000, however I do not want to buy three different stones (i just bought a new bandsaw kinda poor right now) so is there a one stone solution that will be a happy medium? Also, do I need to
    buy a burnisher I believe I recall david marks just using a screwdriver?
    Thank you

I use a Norton combination water stone 220/1000. I also use a burnishing tool. You can both the waterstone and the burnisher for about $70

Card scraper or scraper plane?

For my card scraper I prep with a mill file, then 400g w/d sandpaper on a flat surface, if I need a burr I pull and roll it with a crown burnisher. Total cost of these tools is about $40. I would go this route prior to dropping money on stones.

For my cabinet scraper I use sandpaper to set the bevel, then hone on my water stones. I haven't found a need to roll a burr on it, it works great with just a good honing.

Rockler has a nice waterstone kit 800/4000/6000/nagura. I got it on sale for under $50, but it is regularly $60 and a good starter kit IMO.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9952
    Only thing it lacks is the coarse grit for bevel grinding and a way to flatten the stones. But sand paper will work for both of those shortcomings. Add a $10 honing guide and you will be ready to rock
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Made my own burnishing tool

from a wrist pin (as in auto engine). Go to an automotive repair shop and ask for one (free). Price is right, and they work like crazy.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Norton makes a good water stone combo with a 1000/4000 grit. Works well. I think 6000 is a bit overkill on a scraper though i do use that schedule for chisels and plane irons. I stop at 1000 on card scrapers, so if i had to have only one stone for a scraper it would be a 1000 grit.

Derek, you might get better responses if you move this to the "Neanderthal haven", that's where all the handtool junkies hang.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Good point Zahid

Just don't let him get wrapped up in your sharpening thread That one may be too much for a newbie to handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.