Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok guys, fess up!

Ok guys, fess up!

Alright...

How many of you (like I did just this morning) have cut through your fancy-shmancy aluminum miter guage fence on the tablesaw?

This is the second time that I just needed to make a quick cut and didn't check to make sure that the fence would clear the blade.

Nothing like the sound of carbide slicing through $150 worth of aluminum!!

UGH!

Jason

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    Well either you are the first or nobody else will admit to doing it. We all do things without thinking them through and we pay for it later.

I have nothing to fess up too.

My fancy dancy aluminium miter gauge has not arrived yet from Amazon to cut into.

Naw, never done that . But if I ever did anything that bizarre, the folks at INCRA said I can get a new replacement for only $20 plus shipping (maybe $.50 worth of aluminum); they make it coming and going. They did warn though in the instructions, to use a wood extension to prevent permanent damage to the aluminum extrusion, but that seemed to reduce rigity and lead to problems. Works but small items are not held securely when cutting small stuff and holding with my fingers .

Yup been there... done that. I have no problem admitting I'm an idiot, I am reminded of that fact often.

Did you cut all the way through? If not I wouldn't worry about it. I've got plenty of cuts through my excalibur's aluminum fence, I don't worry about it at all. That's why it's made of aluminum
    JeffD

The bottom of my Incra has a number of "field installed relief grooves". I think of them as "zero clearance crosscut tearout inhibitors".
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I don't have any fancy ones to cut into, so my answer is a no for right now

Now. About some other stupid tricks I've done.......

I trimmed the end of mine just a little (45*). Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

power up brain, do checklist before powering up saw

Turn on brain before turning on saw? One should always power up the old noggin before pressing the power button on the saw. I have two divots in my aluminum fence to prove that I don't always do that. The first one occurred on the second cut I ever made on my new PM 2000. Ouch. Not the same kind of ouch one would get if it were an appendage of ones body, but ouch none the less. Fortunately self preservation and a healthy respect for the saw has kept my body intact. During my private pilot training I came to rely on check lists. Now I go through a mental check list before I power up the saw.

Sometimes I think I should have bought a Saw Stop but if I had done this on a Saw Stop I would be out a couple of brake kits and a couple of blades for an even bigger ouch.

With my SawStop I am terrified that I will do that with my Incra miter gauge. Also, I salvaged some plywood with many shipping nails. After I removed all of them, I made 4 rip cuts. All the while I was nervous about triggering the blade brake and thinking how stupid I am to try to salvage $20 worth of plywood and risking $150. Never again.

Jerry

I haven't done that one yet, but I have routed some mini-dados into my Porter Cable 4212 dovtail jig on two occasions!

Never my Incra or the Aluminium bar I added to the stock delta MG. now I have been slicing some plywood down and made some nice "thin Kerf" grooves in one of my Roller stands.

Yes it was a "DOH!" without a doubt

Since I have a SawStop I'm much more careful about where the miter gauge is when I make a cut. It would be a very expensive mistake for me.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I never have.
    But I did drill a hole through my kreg jig once.