Thread: Cutting bones with a CMS blade?

Cutting bones with a CMS blade?

Anyone know if cutting animal bones with a miter saw blade is hard on, or bad for, the blade? I bought some cow bones for my dogs and I'd like to cut them smaller.

Is this a no-no or what? Can I use a normal top quality blade or should I put on a lesser quality, construction type blade?

Thanks very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I've used a cheap blade to cut moose leg bones up for my dogs in the past. Cuts easy, stinks like a bad trip to the dentist, and "enjoy" the marrow!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton View Post
    Cuts easy, stinks like a bad trip to the dentist......
    ROFL!!!!!!!! Too Funny!!!!!! But oh so true.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm sure it would make the cuts, probably with some kickback involved, but I've never done it nor do I expect that I ever will. If nothing else the thought of cleaning all the bits and pieces of decaying animal matter out of the saw before the smell got really ripe would send me to the borg to get a cheap, disposable hand saw.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Hello,
    Leave 'em as is and don't cut them.
    Bones aren't good for dogs.
    They splinter and the splinters will work there way into the dog's intestines.
    It's an expensive surgical procedure to have them removed & agony for the pooch.

Big knuckle bones that they can't get their mouth over enough to break up, if you absolutely have to give "Fido" a bone.
    The second they show signs of breaking them up, toss the bone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'd use a hacksaw if anything - doin't want "gunk" all over my tools

we used to just give 'em to the dogs whole. and I agree with Rich about the bick knuckles, except our dogs still managed to crack them into pieces.

Barry - beautiful dog pic...

+1 on don't give bones to dogs...

I worked in a kennel long enough to know that it's not a question of "if" your dogs will have intestinal problems. Even if you elect for surgery ($$$$$$$$$), there's only a 30-40% chance.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html

Rawhide chew toys.

Beef bones are best cut with a hand saw in order to roast them and make stock. Then we toss the bones in a deep hole in the garden.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post

I worked in a kennel long enough to know that it's not a question of "if" your dogs will have intestinal problems. Even if you elect for surgery ($$$$$$$$$), there's only a 30-40% chance.

Rawhide chew toys.

Beef bones are best cut with a hand saw in order to roast them and make stock. Then we toss the bones in a deep hole in the garden.

I have always been told that rawhide = salmonilla

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post

Rawhide chew toys.

Eric, you would probably freak out at what we feed our dogs then, so I'll not say.
    Yes you do have to be careful with bones. For that matter, you have to be careful with Nylabones. Don't ever cook animal bones for dogs, especially bird. Be with your dog when he/she is chewing on a bone so you can rescue any piece that gets broken off before they can swallow it. This requires that your dog will allow you to take something out if it's mouth that they don't want to give up. You have to start this training early and often.
    We had one of our Irish back in the 80's break a molar off smooth with the gum chewing on a nylabone. Had to do a root canal. Dr wanted to do a cap, but we decided to just have him fill the tooth smooth so it wouldn't cause a problem. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Barry - beautiful dog pic...
    Thanks.

Blackstone's Misty Sunrise.......12/99 - 7/07.

She made the trip in the truck with me from Alaska to MN. Cancer. She was a GREAT one.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns