Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have experience with Shop Fox jointers

I also have the shop fox 8"...

I have not had much time to use it... My technique sucks so i'm sure it's me that can't get a flat edge without ripples on the wide side of a board (non-edge)

However, on the belt slap, i am curious because i get a really loud bang (can't remmeber if it's startup or shutdown), but it's annoying. Sounds more like a metal clang than a belt noise though - are we talking the same thing...

One gripe i have... The on off switch is such that you can't really use the jointer for side roller support for the table saw (ref Tolpin's book - i had it in same location even before i read it and frequently had to move it out of the way for cross cuts or wide ripping). I've toyed with the idea of trying to flip it around or something..

BTW - Are link belts ok in the heavy duty apps? I put one on my GI saw, but am wondering if i shoudl put them on the jointer, bandsaw and pm66... I think the pulleys on the jointer and my steelcty bandsaw are very "V'd" / grooved not sure they'd fit right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    ...Now comes the hard part of selling the idea to the better half.
    Thanks for the ammo Scott. I'm working on my closing arguments for the presentation to the judge.
    Jon, good luck with SWMBO. A couple of years ago I was in a similar situation. I just explained that a jointer was a tool that I needed to make furniture along with a planer. My options were to by a combination machine or separate machines at different times. I opted, with her blessing to buy the G 0490 and a DeWalt 735. I've been very pleased with both.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Thanks for the ammo Scott. I'm working on my closing arguments for the presentation to the judge.
    Hhhhmmm....it might have been better to seek forgiveness, as the discount dropped from 30% to 20% last night. (still beats a stick in the eye! )
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....