Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Pro 1500 verses Grizzly GO441

Hi Paul,
    Apples to apples?? I have the 2hp 0440 and it has worked well for me. I had considered the Oneida but shipping from right to left coast was huge relative to being able to pick it up at the Bellingham showroom. I did lots of research on manufacturers and calcs on realistic performance needs and the 0440 was the best match. My initial decision was for the Oneida primarily due to the very favorable posts here and the unknowns about the Griz's new entries into cyclone DCs. Costs began to sway me to Griz and after seeing the machine in the flesh, I chose it(them). The F&F is great and I have not noticed any seam leaking problems. I occasionally think the 3hp would have been a better unit, but that is just the Tim Taylor part of me when it comes to machines.....Arruuugh...... The 2hp has been perfect so far and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

I used HVAC pipe and fittings as I thought I could save some $$$$, but in the long run I spent a lot of time fiddling with fittings to adapt to direction of flow. From first hand experience I recommend paying the premium for the DC designed pipe and fittings. You will save lots of time, frustration and bandaids!! Good luck, JCB.

Oneida Dust Collector

I bought my first cyclone fron Oneida in 1995 and ran it for 12 years. I did great and the only reason I had to upgrade was the face that I needed more CFM than was available with a 1.5 hp unit. I bought an new Oneida 2.5 hp cyclone.

The new cyclone is quieter than any piece of equipment in my shop and has better suction than I expected.

Great quality, great service, good price on Made in America equipment.

Dave Laird
    D & N Specialties
    Woodworkers Supply Pro Sales
    Dave Laird
    D and N Specialties (Laser Engraving)
    Pro Sales for Woodworker's Supply in Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Apples to apples?? I have the 2hp 0440 and it has worked well for me. I had considered the Oneida but shipping from right to left coast was huge relative to being able to pick it up at the Bellingham showroom. I did lots of research on manufacturers and calcs on realistic performance needs and the 0440 was the best match. My initial decision was for the Oneida primarily due to the very favorable posts here and the unknowns about the Griz's new entries into cyclone DCs. Costs began to sway me to Griz and after seeing the machine in the flesh, I chose it(them). The F&F is great and I have not noticed any seam leaking problems. I occasionally think the 3hp would have been a better unit, but that is just the Tim Taylor part of me when it comes to machines.....Arruuugh...... The 2hp has been perfect so far and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

I used HVAC pipe and fittings as I thought I could save some $$$$, but in the long run I spent a lot of time fiddling with fittings to adapt to direction of flow. From first hand experience I recommend paying the premium for the DC designed pipe and fittings. You will save lots of time, frustration and bandaids!! Good luck, JCB.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Grizzly John,

I'm going with the 3hp because my shop will probalby become a second income cabinet shop when I retire. I've been working shift work at my regular job since 1981 and I don't want to have to do it into my older years. I'm 47 now so I would like to start taking on a kitchen or two a year to get the business established so that I would know what I have before I get to retirement age.

The 2 - 2 1/2 models would probably be great for a 1 man shop but if my plans hold up I may have an employee or two someday and I want to be able to run more than one machine at a time if necessary. Also, depending on how I place my machines in my 30x50 shop I may have a long run to some equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Laird in NM View Post
    I bought my first cyclone fron Oneida in 1995 and ran it for 12 years. I did great and the only reason I had to upgrade was the face that I needed more CFM than was available with a 1.5 hp unit. I bought an new Oneida 2.5 hp cyclone.

The new cyclone is quieter than any piece of equipment in my shop and has better suction than I expected.

Great quality, great service, good price on Made in America equipment.

Dave Laird
    D & N Specialties
    Woodworkers Supply Pro Sales

Thanks for the info Dave,

Its good to hear that the Oneida has such staying power. You guys are making my decision hard, so many good reviews on both systems.

Paul,

If you are planning to use this for a 2 man shop, you should seriously consider 8" main pipe trunk. Since I am a one man shop it did not bother me to reduce down to 6" at the machine.

As I understand suckage, it's really based on the smallest diameter. So once you go to 6" that's your capacity.

This really screams for professional piping help, which Oneida will provide. You get into MUCH more costly piping, but I think you would see a difference.

The real problem is so much machinery goes down to 4".

Maybe someone else can jump in with a little more info.

...bartee...
    Bartee Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Paul,

If you are planning to use this for a 2 man shop, you should seriously consider 8" main pipe trunk. Since I am a one man shop it did not bother me to reduce down to 6" at the machine.

As I understand suckage, it's really based on the smallest diameter. So once you go to 6" that's your capacity.

This really screams for professional piping help, which Oneida will provide. You get into MUCH more costly piping, but I think you would see a difference.

The real problem is so much machinery goes down to 4".

Maybe someone else can jump in with a little more info.

...bartee...
    Thanks Bartee,

I am seriously considering an 8" main run. Don't know if you noticed but the GO441 has an 8" inlet. I don't remember if it was Oneida or Grizzly but one of them has the clamp togeather ductwork for sale on their website. Its more expensive but I'm thinking more long-term. Also, the clamp togeather appears to be much simpler to take down if it is ever necessary. Thats one of the reasons I was hoping the Grizzly was up to par performance wise. If I can save $600 on the cyclone, I can apply that towards better ductwork.

Bartee - Nice job on your cyclone install. The hoist was a clever solution. I'm curious what the noise reduction was after you enclosed the cyclone. Be careful now that it is "out of sight - out of mind". It is easy to fill the barrel on a large milling project.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Coney View Post
    I would take the information on Oneida's web site comaprisons lightly, and not too literally. I would call them or send emails requesting clairification on their competitive comparison claims.
    I have witnessed how they do their in-house testing when I visited their place a couple years ago and would not be concerned with their published results being out of line. They are one of the few companies out there that you can say that about. Independent testing typicaly tends to back up the fan curves, too. Unlike mass-marketers, they have a lot more to lose if they were to trick things up since dust collection is their only business. But it's certainly good advise to ask questions and for clarification of anything you might wish to better understand; both from a results standpoint and from a testing methodology standpoint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paul, I'm also a Chevy kinda guy that's currently driving an Oneida. Since you're asking value questions I will throw out areas I saved in order to drive the Oneida. Hopefully this won't highjack your thread. I bought my blast gates from Blastgateco.com and they have worked very well @ third the price. My duct came from Oneida with a discount on orders over $500. I fab'd my own floor sweep and used reducers from HVAC supply house. My stand also was built by a local welder using Oneida's specs @ a fraction of the price. All told saved over $400 without sacrificing quality. I think you will be happy with either cyclone you buy and saved money is still money. I will say that Oneida's customer service is on my short list of top companies. Their suggestions saved me money.

Tim

I am in the market for a cyclone as well. One factor that pulls me to the 2.5 hp Oneida is the amp draw. It's been 28 years since I had an electricity coarse in school, but I think Amps x Voilt x Hours / 1,000= KW of electricity used. Correct me if I'm wrong. This being said, a dust collector is on more than any other tool in your shop. Depending on what eletricity cost are where you live, I would think over a period of a few years being used 4 to 8 hours a day the savings in electricity just might pay for the higher cost of the Oneida unit.
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Mincey; 10-07-2008 at 6:50 AM.

Paul,

The Grizz is 8" intake duct size at the machine.

I can tell you this is VERY well built. I am sure there are differences between the machines, but I will say again, I am very impressed with the Grizz. The motor base is just one example:

Copy%20of%20IMG_0967.jpg

The enclosure has worked and the machines are now louder than the cyclone. So I have to get into habit of turning it off. However, these motors are designed to run so forgetting it for a while I don't think will be a problem.

Glad my pictures are a help. I enjoy doing them and Picasa and Picasa Web are really easy and fun to use.
    Bartee Lamar

12. Bartee
    great pic's on the install, I wish I had that much head room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
    Paul, I'm also a Chevy kinda guy that's currently driving an Oneida. Since you're asking value questions I will throw out areas I saved in order to drive the Oneida. Hopefully this won't highjack your thread. I bought my blast gates from Blastgateco.com and they have worked very well @ third the price. My duct came from Oneida with a discount on orders over $500. I fab'd my own floor sweep and used reducers from HVAC supply house. My stand also was built by a local welder using Oneida's specs @ a fraction of the price. All told saved over $400 without sacrificing quality. I think you will be happy with either cyclone you buy and saved money is still money. I will say that Oneida's customer service is on my short list of top companies. Their suggestions saved me money.

Tim
    Tim, dont be concerned about hijacking the thread, your information is very valuable. Thank You for sharing it, now I have more things to consider.

The duct discount you speak of for orders over $500, is that a discount they run all of the time?

I have three small welding shops within about 3 miles of my house, how did you go about getting the specs for Oneidas stand? Thanks for the idea, I had never considered having a stand built, no matter which system I use I will definately be using a stand. Besides being cheaper it would save shipping on the stand.

Just remember that if the system is drawing less amps, it is doing less work--moving less air. HP output is directly related to the current being measured. That is why I favored the G0441 as it has the same current ratings as Grizzly and Oneida's 5HP systems.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    I am in the market for a cyclone as well. One factor that pulls me to the 2.5 hp Oneida is the amp draw. It's been 28 years since I had an electricity coarse in school, but I think Amps x Voilt x Hours / 1,000= KW of electricity used. Correct me if I'm wrong. This being said, a dust collector is on more than any other tool in your shop. Depending on what eletricity cost are where you live, I would think over a period of a few years being used 4 to 8 hours a day the savings in electricity just might pay for the higher cost of the Oneida unit.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    Just remember that if the system is drawing less amps, it is doing less work--moving less air. HP output is directly related to the current being measured. That is why I favored the G0441 as it has the same current ratings as Grizzly and Oneida's 5HP systems.

Greg
    Hi Gregory, unfortunately comparing motors by current draw is no indication of which motor has a higher horsepower rating or is performing more work.

A low power factor, low efficiency motor will require more current than a high power factor, high efficiency motor.

My tablesaw (General 650) has a premium motor in it that draws 12.5 amperes for 3 HP. I've seen other low efficiency, low power factor motors that draw 18 amperes, yet only produce 3 HP of work.

A premium efficiency motor (higher initial cost) will save you money in the long run on a cyclone because of the many hours of use it will see during its lifetime.

If you measure the current on a particular motor, yes the higher the current, the more load on the motor. This however is not necessarilly true when comparing two different motors.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I checked the Grizzly website, and the motor for the G0441 is rated 3HP, 19.5A at 220 Volts. This works out to 17.9 A at 240 volts, for comparison to the premium efficiency 3 HP motor at 12.5A.........Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-07-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added post script