Thread: It must be Balloon Fiesta time…

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

It must be Balloon Fiesta time…

Our annual Balloon Fiesta started up yesterday – along with the rain. We haven’t had any measurable rain for the last 2 months. It started raining last night ~ 9:00 and is still raining this morning. It seems to happen every year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I thought the Balloon Festival worked like the Rose Parade: no matter how crappy the weather is the week before and the week after, it's bright and sunny that morning.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

A guy I worked with at a San Francisco TV station wanted to do the balloon thing after he retired. He did retire and went ballooning in New Mexico around ten years ago got caught in a draft, hit some power lines and got electrocuted.
    Some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen were of balloons similar to the one you posted. They are an awesome site.
    Looks like you are getting some long awaited rain.
    David B

Nope, Lee, just the opposite around here. We count on the Fiesta to break the Fall drought---I can't remember the last time that the balloonists were able to get in a full week of flying and activities without something being cancelled.

Bruce, the rain hit your house at 9:00 p.m.? It started raining over here on the other side at about 5:30 and rained all night. It isn't raining now--maybe it will stop at your house soon.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I've had a balloon ride. It is thrilling, quiet, peaceful.... We could talk to people on the ground watching us as we drifted overhead. Way cool.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Betcha lots of flatlander Texans made it up to the crest of the mountain this morning to see snow!!

And the wind too!!! It's been nice and calm at my house (East Mtns) until Saturday. I expect it to let up next May. I guess I better get those loose shingles nailed down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Nope, Lee, just the opposite around here. We count on the Fiesta to break the Fall drought---I can't remember the last time that the balloonists were able to get in a full week of flying and activities without something being cancelled.
    I seem to remember getting in a complete festival without rain one year when I was in Jr High. So that would have been probably 73-74. It would seem like they were coming straight down Lomas.