Thread: Diamond Dust

Diamond Dust

I use the Beal woodbuffing system frequently and sometimes have a problem where the white diamond polishing compound gets impregnated into the pores of the wood and leaves an unattractive white coloration. Any ideas on how to remove the compound from the pores?
    Why would this be happening?
    Gregg Feldstone

Most suggest skipping that step - for future reference.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

On open grain wood such as walnut I don't use the white diamond. As Tim said most skip the WD on these types of wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Greg!

the only thing I know of that has worked to remove the stuff after the fact is a failrly stiff small metal "tooth" brush scrubbed with the grain. In future projects, Use tripoli on the bare wood, I use the white diamond after several coats of wipe on poly. Good luck!

The only way I can think of is to sand it off. It is a wax so it is going to cling in the open pores. I too rarely use the WD anymore, unless it was a prefinished piece that just needs cleaning up

I don't want to mess up the nice finish with a brush or sandpaper at this point. Is there anything I could use as a solvent....mineral spirits, alcohol........? I already applied danish oil and let the piece dry several days before polishing.
    Gregg Feldstone

back to the top. Any one here now have any ideas?
    Gregg Feldstone

Back to the top revisited!

Sorry greg I missed the fact that it was already finished in my first post.
    I would try a NYLON "toothbrush" and mineral spirits with the grain. I usualy fill the pores with multiple applications of finish before I buff. (With white diamond.
    Bob

Greg, I'd try Mineral Spirits. If the oil is dry, the mineral spirits in a really wet wash, like Robert says with a soft bristle tooth brush, it should get rid of the WD.
    I skip WD on some really porous woods, like oak, but I've never had any trouble with it on Black Walnut. I try to sand the BW a lot more than other wood, simply because I don't want the WD to mess with it. I don't like to skip the WD, because (to me) it's a necessary step between the Tripoli and the Carnauba, to get the finish just right.
    (Not trying to be cocky, just my opinion.)
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I agree with Bob and Allen - mineral spirits to desolve the wax and a soft toothbrush to apply it. I also agree with Allen that it takes all 3 wheels to get the best finish. That's just my opinion and it is based on what works for me.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Gregg,
    Alot of times like with the Koa peice I just posted a few days ago I use the wd wheel but I don't add any fresh wd to it. I might even put another chunck of wood to the wheel first to make sure all the excess wd is gone. You can still get a great shine that way with out filling your pores.

Bob