Thread: How best to go from resaw, to finished stock

How best to go from resaw, to finished stock

I'm resawing a lot of boards, both domestic hardwoods and exotics, with my Minimax 24" bandsaw, with a Lenox carbide blade, and a stock feeder.

My stock comes off quite smooth, but not smooth enuf for my customers. My Performax 16/32 drumsander, is too slow....I'm resawing a LOT of stock.

I was gonna get a 15 or 17" widebelt sander, but I saw a comment quite some time ago from member: Kevin Groenke. He wrote:

"With the PM 209HH (byrd spiral) we can go from the resaw to finished in a single pass. The helical head doesn't care about grain, figure or much else. We regularly plane stock to 1/4" and less. With a 1" mdf auxiliary bed we've successfully thicknessed 12" maple and similar (clear, straight grain) to 3/32"."

This sounds like a perfect solution for me. I'd like to get comments from others, regarding similar planers with helical heads.

Will they give me a finish, very close to 120 grit sanding?
    Do those heads rarely give you chip out?
    Is a helical head the same as a "spiral cutterhead"?
    I don't need a 20" planer, therefore, do you folks think the Grizzly G0453z 15" planer would get me a great finish?
    The head on that planer is "Spiral with German-Made Indexable Carbide Inserts", and runs at 5000 RPM, with 74 carbide inserts.
    $1,441.00 delivered.

I resaw and with one pass through my Grizzly 1021x, wood is clean enough for ROS with 150 grit. Yes these planers with helical style heads do that good of a job. There are 2 types of heads, the type with the small indexable carbide cutters and the type that have a straight knife in a twist(so to speak). You want to stay away from the second type as the knives are hard to sharpen and adjust.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Dirk,
    How thick is your stock? What do your customers use it for? How much is a LOT of stock?

From 1/8 to 1/4 typically in thickness.
    Mostly scrolling.
    Hundreds and hundreds of sq.ft. worth....basically all I have time to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by jim oakes View Post
    Dirk,
    How thick is your stock? What do your customers use it for? How much is a LOT of stock?

Lance, is that planer similar to the G0453Z?
    I'm currently using a Dewalt 13" planer (3 knives). Are the helical heads a huge difference?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    I'm resawing a lot of boards, both domestic hardwoods and exotics, with my Minimax 24" bandsaw, with a Lenox carbide blade, and a stock feeder.

My stock comes off quite smooth, but not smooth enuf for my customers. My Performax 16/32 drumsander, is too slow....I'm resawing a LOT of stock.

I was gonna get a 15 or 17" widebelt sander, but I saw a comment quite some time ago from member: Kevin Groenke. He wrote:

"With the PM 209HH (byrd spiral) we can go from the resaw to finished in a single pass. The helical head doesn't care about grain, figure or much else. We regularly plane stock to 1/4" and less. With a 1" mdf auxiliary bed we've successfully thicknessed 12" maple and similar (clear, straight grain) to 3/32"."

This sounds like a perfect solution for me. I'd like to get comments from others, regarding similar planers with helical heads.

Will they give me a finish, very close to 120 grit sanding?
    Do those heads rarely give you chip out?
    Is a helical head the same as a "spiral cutterhead"?
    I don't need a 20" planer, therefore, do you folks think the Grizzly G0453z 15" planer would get me a great finish?
    The head on that planer is "Spiral with German-Made Indexable Carbide Inserts", and runs at 5000 RPM, with 74 carbide inserts.
    $1,441.00 delivered.
    I have Byrd heads in my planer and my jointer. Neither leaves a surface ready to finish. I start with 120 orbital and work each grit up to 220 or 320. The wood has essentially zero tearout, but it is not ready to finish...joe

Really, Joe....
    Darn.
    Sounds like I'm back to needing a wide belt sander, then.
    Do those things remove material at the speed, close to a planer?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Really, Joe....
    Darn.
    Sounds like I'm back to needing a wide belt sander, then.
    Do those things remove material at the speed, close to a planer?
    The Byrd head replaces the stock cutterhead. I see no differnce in feed speed on the jointer, and my planer is single speed.

I experience a lot less sanding with these heads as there is no tearout, but they are far from zero sanding...joe