Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Compact Drill/Drivers

Ultra-Compact Drill/Drivers

I just finished a tool search and thought I would share a thought. I have need for a very small & light drill/driver and with Li-Ion batteries getting down in cost, there are more options now. The pro brands have largely stuck with the form of the Bosch 10.8v driver-only unit that was first on the market (same factory?). Ridgid's entry caught my eye because it is full-featured (clutch, higher RPM, chuck) and a few days ago I saw it was cut to $78 at my local Home depot and bought one.

It is a but bulkier that the Bosch, but it is more useful, and seems well-built too. Not much it can't do for the woodworker it seems, fits in cramped quarters and a delight on the toolbelt for home improvement. It will not replace a good 18V unit, but especially for delicate work, it's great. It weighs about 1/3 of a typical 18V, about 1/2 an 18V Li-Ion. Fits larger hands better (seems illogical, I know, but the battery is the grip).

JD

I have three Bosch versions now, the Driver, the Impact Driver, and the angle driver. I will add the new version with a chuck which might make the PS20 obsolete. I have several other drills, but I reach for the little Bosch units if I don't need a chuck. I haven't drilled with them, but for driving they do almost everything I need. When I need to do lots of large screws, I move to a large Panasonic Impact Driver, it's lots more powerful than the little Bosch...joe

I've got the Milwaukee 12 V one. It is nearly a carbon copy of the Bosch design.

TTI owns Milwaukee, Ridgid, and Ryobi, hence the similarity between the Milwaukee and Ridgid.

My Milwaukee has the higher RPM than the Bosch too, but not really high enough that I'd want to use it for drilling. (except in a pinch) I'm happy with the 1/4" hex drive.

I agree that it is super-handy. I use it for all my driving needs that don't require extreme torque. For the high torque stuff, an impact driver is impossible to beat.

Here are a few pix. I have detail shots if anyone is interested:

I too have the Milwaukee 2401 and like it a lot. I do use it for drilling small holes as well as driving smallish fasteners. Great in small spaces like cabinets. I would imagine that the new 2-speed compact drills on the market from Bosch and Makita and the one soon to be released by Milwaukee will be more versatile and desirable than the Milwaukee 2401 and Bosch P-20.

I bought the Ryobi 12v last year at thanksgiving and its been GREAT !!

compact light weight plenty of torque for screws and light drilling like all lion the batteries stay fully charged ready for use .

$78 for the drill and two batteries one of my favorite tools

http://products.howstuffworks.com/ry...01k-review.htm
    Last edited by skip coyne; 10-06-2008 at 4:30 PM.

I bought a Metabo 7.V LiIo driver with drill mode and a great clutch for hardware installations last month. Great little tool. Came with a right angle attachment and a great bit kit. Torque is no issue. It doesn't have great torque in the higher speed drill mode, bit in drive mode it will push a #8 installation screw through a sheet of 3/4" plywood and out the other side. It will drive 3" #10's no problem too. It won't replace my other cordless drills and impact driver, but it sure is a handy little thing. It is so balanced and ergonomic it feels like an extension of the hand.

At $200 its not for everyone. but I use it daily at work so it made sense for me. I bought a bosh 10V pocket driver first but returned it because I didn't like the feel, just not something I want in my hand all day.

I'm really impressed generally by what seems like a whole new weight class of tools to me. These small drivers can earn a place in nearly any tool belt or box. Glad you are enjoying yours.

Those of you who do a lot of mechanical installation/site work may want to consider the lit'l Black & Decker and Skil units. My step-father uses one for food service equipment servicing biz. They're very small and light, powerful enough for most of the disassembly/assembly of the equipment necessary on-site, and if you leave one behind you're not out $100-$300!

Not the ticket for installing a deck, but da bomb for installing an icemachine or repairing a deli slicer!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I've had the Ridgid since last winter, Just bought two more. Great little drill that will also drive a bunch of screws.

At the HD here they had the Ridgid in a two pack for $129.
    I am not sure how long they will have them but you may look or ask about them.

I love my Bosch PS-20 and PS-40. The PS-20 would be nice with a clutch, but works well for a compact drill/driver. I won't be driving 3" deck screws with the PS-20, but I have driven quite a few 3" deck screws and tapcons with the PS-40. When you're on top of a ladder, the PS-40 is so much easier to use than some 18 volt monstrosity. I got a lot of brownie points for getting the Bosch PS-40 for my dad and FIL for Father's Day this year . . . but Bosch is WAY behind on fulfilling the mail-in rebate with the spare PS-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    I love my Bosch PS-20 and PS-40. The PS-20 would be nice with a clutch, but works well for a compact drill/driver. I won't be driving 3" deck screws with the PS-20, but I have driven quite a few 3" deck screws and tapcons with the PS-40. When you're on top of a ladder, the PS-40 is so much easier to use than some 18 volt monstrosity. I got a lot of brownie points for getting the Bosch PS-40 for my dad and FIL for Father's Day this year . . . but Bosch is WAY behind on fulfilling the mail-in rebate with the spare PS-20.
    When I called to check on mine (my father had received both of his, and they were sent three days before mine, and three days after mine), they still had over 10,000 left to go. They said it was WAY more then anticipated. I would be happy with the new PS30 and even though I doubt I see that, I plan on buying one.
    I am hoping someone will post a review when they get one, and let us know if it is better balanced then the Ridgid.
    I am still waiting on a deal on a PS10. I don't personally think it would get used as much, but several friends recommend it over the others for my vehicle stuff (tighter spots).

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    When I called to check on mine (my father had received both of his, and they were sent three days before mine, and three days after mine), they still had over 10,000 left to go. They said it was WAY more then anticipated. I would be happy with the new PS30 and even though I doubt I see that, I plan on buying one.
    I am hoping someone will post a review when they get one, and let us know if it is better balanced then the Ridgid.
    I am still waiting on a deal on a PS10. I don't personally think it would get used as much, but several friends recommend it over the others for my vehicle stuff (tighter spots).
    I was told end of Oct when I called. Lady said that there were double the request than they had anticipated.

As for my PS40-2, I've been using it left and right. The other night I was using it to put together some concrete forms, easily sinking 3" deck screws without predrilling. And since it was night the light on the front was very useful (I was lighting the jobsite with my truck casting horrible shadows).

I've had the PS20 for a year and its great for hardware and even assembly of cabinets but its too slow for drilling. I picked up the PS40 2 months ago for its higher speed to use with hex head drill bits, and it works well till you push too hard and it starts "impacting", really loud when your head is inside on a cabinet!
    If I were to do it over again, I would go with the new Makita 10.8 driver with 2 speeds, for driving and drilling.
    David Werkheiser

I have this unit from Sears. Great little tool. I did not need one but for the sale price of $34.99 I gave it a shot. I was able to drive a #8 screw through 3/4 inch Cherry without a pilot hole. Would not want to do that on a regular basis but did have the power.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Screwguns

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

No offense, but that grip looks painful and at 1/3 the power it's not really a bargain, at least not how I value my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I have this unit from Sears. Great little tool. I did not need one but for the sale price of $34.99 I gave it a shot. I was able to drive a #8 screw through 3/4 inch Cherry without a pilot hole. Would not want to do that on a regular basis but did have the power.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Screwguns