Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworkers Guild of America DVD

Woodworkers Guild of America DVD

Did anyone else get one of these in the mail? I got this today, completely unsolicited. What's really weird is that they include a return envelope and directions for returning the dvd (sans case) to them if I don't want to keep it. Of course you have to read everything to find where it says that your not under any obligation to return it to them. I wonder how many they actually get returned to them. Anyway, haven't had a chance to view it yet - wondering if anyone else got one.

Be well,

Doc

Yep! Got one on Saturday. Thought the whole thing was strange. Like you said needed to read everything to see you did not have to send it back. I was ready to call the post office. I have not yet looked at it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Don, I got one the other day too. Basically it’s a video on how to build cabinets. I thought it was pretty good in regards how to build them and some good tips. It is geared for the first time builder or someone new to the construction process. As far as being solicited in the fashion in which they are doing it, I know I don’t particularly like it and am not responding to them in anyway. I have just found over the years to just ignore certain kinds of sales tactics.. To each his own I guess…
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Havent got the DVD yet, but did get a hard cover book from one of the magazines recently. Then got a follow up mail this week. "please respond" - sorry, unsolicited mail is the recipient's. If you did not order, and it came by US Mail - consider it a gift.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

They did the same thing about a year ago. I didn't check it out, didn't return it, and just throw the follow up monthly mail reminding me that I didn't send it back into the trash without reading it either.

I got one.

My wife made me a copy and I sent the original back per instructions. No cost to me in time or money and I have a copy. Didn't watch much but it looks OK. I'm just getting started in flat work. Maybe it'll be helpful.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I got one too.
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

Me too

Yep, got one yesterday. Haven't looked at it, but was planning to view it this weekend. Don't plan on returning it. I love early Christmas gifts.

Lon

I got it today and found it interesting and informative.

Hmmm...another incarnation of the Handyman Club or the Fishermans' Club??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No, not really Jim. They are strictly trying to sell videos. It's a "every 2-3 months we'll send you the next one" set-up. And you can send any of them back free of charge with no obligation to buy any more. Of course, you have to pay $12.95 for the one they sent you for free to "enroll".

I've just finished watching it about 10 minutes ago. It's 3 hours long and I watched an hour each night since I got it. It's a well done video. The host is personable and easy to follow. He builds a cabinet and uses A LOT of techniques along the way and provides a plethora of tips along the way (many I've never heard before).

All in all a nice video, nice tips. Will I pay for it - NO. So I also will not join their "guild". Why? Because I don't like this type of marketing, no matter how good the information.

Be well,

Doc

12. I got one too. I found it interesting that they ask that you send it back if you don't want it so they can send it to another woodworker to try out...

I doubt that it cost effective for them to pay for shipping back, make sure the DVD is in good shape, put in a new case and then resent to it out again. I guess they are trying to refine their distribution list (makes it more valuable). I'm guessing they got my name and address from either WOOD Magazine or Amazon.com. Beyond the box stores, the only place I've bought any woodworking related stuff recently. In this case, I don't really mind -- I found the DVD interesting!
    Thanks,

Harish

Thanks. I got mine and put in on top of the DVD player with the intention of watching it but forgot all about it until this thread reminded me.

Blog Entries
    Got one. Very basic. Ignored the request for return. Anyone who sends me unsolicited items does so at their own peril. I would gladly sign a bill that would required all 'spray and pray' mailers to pay return postage on anything I refused. It would keep the post office employees working and make targeted mailings more cost effective for these yo-yo's. I pass my recylcing bin on the way to the house from the mailbox. I must dump half a cubic foot of junk every week right back into the system.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I too recieved the DVD. It is well done but I cant see joining something like that for an undisclosed amount per video.