Thread: Byrd Cutterhead - Jointer

Byrd Cutterhead - Jointer

Well, last Thursday the new Byrd cutterhead arrived, and was installed. It is the Shelix, which is a helical, carbide insert cutterhead. The absence if tearout is quite impressive. The noise is low. The pressure it takes to feed the stock seems about half of that required for a regular cutterhead. My jointer, also shown, is a big old 12" from American Wood Working Machinery Company of Rochester, NY, probably from the 1920's or so. Had to be before the merger with Yates in 1925. And no, the paint color was not my doing. The pix of the jointer is old; I have since installed dust collection.
    This cutterhead had to be specially made, and I had them put new bearings on the journal at the same time. This is a pleasant company to deal with.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooohhhhhhh...vvvveeerrrryyyyy nice, Alan!

I had a chance to visit a fellow ww'ers FS41 (MiniMax 16" J/P Combo) and I got to see the massive cutterhead employed on that machine. It uses the Tersa style of knife system but I had visions on how nice a Byrd Shelix would look on there! Drool, drool!

However, I bet it would be in the 2-3k range for Byrd to make me a Shelix for the MM!

How many carbide knives do you have there? Is the cutting effort really reduced by 50%? Once could theoretically use a smaller motor with that cutterhead!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

There are 3 spirals, each with about 12 inserts. This guy is a 22" journal, with a 12" cut, and was $1200, which I didn't think was too bad. For a special journal, it is all handwork. I sent them mine, which they copied. took a bit longer than promised, but not too bad, and they just moved to larger quarters. I know their 20" head, for the 4 post Asian planers is $1200 also. I am thinking about it also. Just need to sell some more wood, both for that reason, and because my wife is now parking in the driveway, and this will be an issue soon enough.
    Alan
    Alan

Alan,

Looks good. Don't mean to pry, but I've been thinking about getting a combination jointer/planer machine. I would like to put one of these on it if I get it. What was the cost to have a custom 12" head made? This should give me at least a ballpark of what to expect.

Doh, you got your response in there while I was typing, thanks.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jay, I know Todd Burch was looking into getting a Shelix made up for his 20" Felder J/P (AD751) although he was reserving judgment on the Felder 4-knife style cutterhead before committing the bucks.

I'm almost certain my wife would divorce me if I even mention changing the cutterhead on my MiniMax 16" J/P...a 7k machine to begin with!!

Here is an FS41 that a friend of mine has...what an aircraft carrier!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Ooooohhhhhhh...vvvveeerrrryyyyy nice, Alan!

Is the cutting effort really reduced by 50%? Once could theoretically use a smaller motor with that cutterhead!
    Chris,

Yes, you could. But no one would.....anyone every complained their machine was overpowered?

The idea is simple...regular knife - you take an entire width cut in one instant....literally one instant. Helical head - you are slicing a small portion of the width at any single instant of time....reduces the amount of power needed and also reduces vibration during cutting. But you pay dearly for it....I'm still contemplating getting the Shelix for my planer one day.

Nice bandsaw btw....I'd offer to help you get it out of the truck but don't think you want to wait 'til the weekend. If you still need help then, give me a holler and I'll help you.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

He he...."Honey, I have TOO much power here...I need to sell this motor for a SMALLER one...." Yeah, she might just keel over dead if I ever said that!

I understand the concept of the cutterhead...I have lots of figured maple so I've been thinking about it. Mabe I'll call Byrd for a quote just for fun...it would be interesting to hear.

Thanks for the offer, I think my neighbor and I will the BS down this evening after work...more pics to follow for that event!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-17-2004 at 5:20 PM.

Hey Chris,
    Be glad to help you out with that figured maple. Just send it on out, and I'll get it back to you in due course.
    Alan

...bookmatched panels and everything, Alan?

Bookmatching won't be a problem, Chris, if you will just send that MM along with the maple.
    Alan