Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a New Jigsaw

Time for a New Jigsaw

I bought my B&D jigsaw as an impulse because it was very chearp...er...inexpensive...cheap.

Hard to cut a straight or curved line. Vibrates like crazy. My not-go-to tool. Avoid it as much as possible.

So, what's an accurate, low vibrating, good dust collection port, dare I say...long lasting, jigsaw?

Thanks,
    Burt

Bosch.

Yes, I have the Festool barrel-grip jigsaw but I think the Bosch is probably a better value and likely just as good and perhaps even better.

BTW, I graduated from a Sears jigsaw to the Festool...wow, didn't know a jigsaw could cut so beautifully!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bosch and it is great compared to the B&D that I had for the same reasons as posted by Burt. It has been a great addition to my tool cabinet. The progressor blades (T-234) give a cut quality that will rival a TS for smoothness.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Milwaukee, nice jigsaw, but I like the Bosch barrel handle better for feel, from the few times I've used one.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

re: Time for a New Jigsaw

got a Bosch. Low blade deflection was the big thing.
    Mine doesn't have any provision for dust collection, though.

Matt

Another vote for the Bosch. I have the regular/non-barrel 1587. It is one of my favorite power tools and one that I use a lot.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

The Festool, while pricey, does have dust collection and it works well...when I bother to hook it up. I dunno if Bosch jigsaw have built-in dust collection. Festool is reknowned for their dust-collection on ALL their power tools and that is one reason I'm a big fan of them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My Bosch jigsaw was the first power tool I bought for woodworking about 15 years ago. It is an old friend and has never let me down. A+++

Had a Bosch 1587. Blade changing was a bitch. If you get a Bosch, get a 1590 or 1591. MUCH better saw. Dead simple blade changing. Truer cutting.

10. I asked the same question almost a year ago

...and you are getting the same replies I did. I bought the Bosch barrel grip on "the river" and I love it. It replaced a 15 year old B&D. Take the plunge and drop the $150. You will probably never have to replace it, and you will be happy every time you use it.

My .02 cents.

Dwain

Bosch

I think Bosch pretty much perfected the jigsaw - other than DC. I can't see any improvements that could be made on the 1584 barrel grip. It is easily the nicest tool I've owned - balance, weight, power, control, reliability - everything. Just a great tool.

Max

12. bosch collects dust

I have the 1590EVS with a regular grip and you can purchase a dust collection tube for it and it works very well. I haven't used the festool, but it captures almost all of the dust. Just make sure you have the blower switch turned off on the jigsaw!

Another vote for the Bosch here....I have the older one with the clunky blade change knob up top....other than that the tool is perfect. Amazon has them for $99 from time to time.

I have the regular grip BOSCH and have found it to be a very good tool.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries

Bosch barrel grip

I know I'm repeating what has already been said but the Bosch barrel grip is amazing. Anyone who has been unlucky enough to stop by my shop when I'm using it has been forced to try it on some scrap wood. The only thing that I could imagine being better is to have a jigsaw that plugs into your nerve endings.