Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624 or Jet 1642?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nova 1624 or Jet 1642?

Hi Guys
    New to the group and Hi from over the pond in the UK!.
    About a year ago I started turning using a little cheapo lathe to see if I liked it (I do) and now ready for a better lathe. I seem to have short listed the Nova 1624 which over here is sold under the brand name `Record` and the Jet 1642. The Nova sells over here with stand for £799 ($1380) and £999 ($1725) with outrigger and Supernova chuck and the Jet for £1300 ($2240).
    I like turning all the usual stuff like vases,platters etc and recently segmented turning so don`t envisage big heavy stuff and both these lathes seem more than adequate for my needs. A few people in the UK have recommended the Nova 1624 with manual speed change but folk in the US seem to be the main users of the Jet with again very favourable comments and there seems to be very little if any negative comments on either. I did think about the variable speed Nova (£1799, $3105)but have been told to be wary about combined inverter/head models with possible heavy repair bills.
    I am very tempted with the Jet but is the variable speed (plus a few other little bits) worth the extra $900 ish (or $500 depending on the package) ?? I don`t turn for a living but would I be likely to regret buying a manual change lathe in six months time? decisions, decisions I`d be very interested in comments from the group.
    Best Regards
    Steve

Steve - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

I am the proud owner of a Jet 1642 EVS and love it! I can't really do a comapre for you against the Nova as I have never used one. I do, however, highly recommend the 1642 for a couple of reasons: the sliding headstock and the variable speed. I turn a lot of bowls and hollow forms and find being able to slide the headstock down to the end of the bed really saves my back as I do not have to lean over the bed. The variable speed is a must-have feature for me anymore! When you turn an out of balance blank you can adjust the speed ever so slightly to reduce/remove any vibration in the lathe. Plus while turning - if you want the speed higher or lower it is simply a matter of turning a dial and continuing with your turning. Once you use a variable speed lathe you will find the 'option' is something you are glad to have!

Best of luck with your decision! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe - whatever it may be! And again, Welcome to the Creek!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hi Steve
    Thanks for the quick reply. You echo what most VS lathe owners I`ve spoken to say where you wouldn`t be without it now. I suppose I`m still learning at this game and its easy to get carried away with lathes having all the bells and whistles. One other thing to consider would be the warranty. Over here the Nova has a 5yr one but not sure about the Jet as it states 5yrs on the US sites so maybe the same in the UK? have to check that out.
    Thanks again
    Steve

I went from a VS lathe to the Nova 1624 and I really do not miss the VS. BUT, I'm a hobbiest, I do not sale or have to mass produce. I turn for my own pleasure so taking a few seconds to change a belt does not matter to me. In, fact for some crazy reason I prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    ...I turn for my own pleasure so taking a few seconds to change a belt does not matter to me. In, fact for some crazy reason I prefer it.
    Paul,

I'm not going to disagree with your point of view. I've got a Woodfast lathe that has VS and a 5 step pulley. For some reason, I too like to pause now and again to change the belt. Maybe that's because I usually change a belt when going from one "phase" to another -- roughing out a blank to round being phase 1, shaping the outside of a bowl being phase 2, etc. -- so I associate belt changes with "progress".

However, I still love having VS on my lathe. It's NOT just a matter of conveinance. VS allows me to do things that I could not do without it:

• As pointed out above, sometimes a small change in speed will cause the lathe to run more smoothly. With some blanks, a particular RPM range will set up a harmonic vibration that makes it very difficult to turn. Reducing or increasing the RPM outside that range eliminates the harmonic vibration. Without VS, my 5 step pulley would give me 5 speeds ranging from a low of 370 RPM to 2700 RPM. If one of those speeds produces a harmonic vibration, I'd be forced to turn substantially slower or faster than I wanted. That's not the case with VS.
    • I like to apply finish on the lathe. My preferred finish is lacquer. If I apply a heavy coat of lacquer, it's apt to run -- but NOT if the lathe turns very slowly while the lacquer sets. Very slowly for these purposes is a lot less than 370 RPM! Without VS, I could not use my favorite method of applying finish.
    • I turn the speed way down when sanding on the lathe. I used to sand at above 600 RPM (the slowest speed on my old HF lathe). I figured that faster speed meant faster sanding. I've learned that faster usually means more heat and less effective sanding. (That particularly true when power sanding.) Again, my preferred method is to sand with the lathe running at about 150 RPM. I couldn't do that without VS.

Are any of these "benefits" worth the cost of VS? YMMV, but to me they are.

I was at the same point you are just a couple of months ago. I decided to go with the Nova 1624 and I am very pleased with this lathe. I too am a hobbiest and I am now addicted to turning. Changing belts is not a problem for me, in fact, it does give me a moment to think of the next step. I do think that you will be satisfied with either lathe. I looked very hard at the Jet 1642 and I know from reading this forum that it is a great lathe. Some of the differences are simply personal opinion. My advice would be to try both of the lathes out if possible and see which one you like.
    Let us know what you decide.
    All the best.

Just a quick point, Nova slow speed is 178 rpm. That has always been slow enough for my needs. I do have to add the reason I ended up woth the Nova is I set a limit on what I would pay for any lathe. I felt the Nova was the best I could get within my price that I set. If I had set the limit higher, I would have ended up wit a VS. Not sorry about my limit because that is what a lathe was worth to me.

The VFD-provided VS on the Jet would make this the complete winner without question for me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You will not go wrong with either of those two lathes. They are both great values.

Jet 1642 vs the Nova 1624

Hello, I am new to Sawmill and would appreciate any helpful comments. I like the Jet but I am concerned about the future cost if the Inverter needs to be replaced.
    The New Zealand - Made Nova 1624 has a great reputation but I am concerned about the new models now made in a new factory in China.

Also, has anyone used the Jet Outrigger stand for Outboard turning. It is cast - Iron and looks heavy enough, but wonder if a Outboard unit is better if it is attached to the lathe.

Thanks, Jay Richins
    Last edited by jay richins; 10-09-2008 at 3:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Jay,

i bought the 1642 with outboard turning stand this summer, love the 1642 but have not used the outboard turning stand as yet, i do not have any blanks large enough to warrent turning outboard yet, hope to lay some up this fall

i have sort of looked at the stand and tried to picture a 4 x 4 across the bottom of bed legs so that the outboard turning stand can not creep (be pulled into)into the turning piece

anybody else have any suggestions

i have not used the nova
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 10-09-2008 at 3:26 PM.

A thought I had about the Nova or indeed any manual change lathe. My little cheapo lathe has that variable speed device whereby the pulley is in two halves and opens or closes for the different speeds and I always start slow and increase speed when work is put into the chuck. Obviously with a manual lathe it starts at whatever the last speed setting was left at and the thought of not fitting a chunk of wood quite correctly and then spinning at speed .
    No doubt this is would be down to my own carelessness rather than a problem with lathe but I have had some near misses in the past , just a thought !.
    Cheers
    Steve

Isn't that the same wit a VS? It is going to start up at the speed you left it at, least mine did. I've never had that problem on either lathe (ya watch it happen now!) but on my nova I can look through the Little windows on the front and tell at exactly what speed it is sitting. Not that I look! But I could..

Hi Paul
    Point taken, I forgot about the window on the Nova . Didn`t know that they are now made in China but the quality of the one I saw in my local dealer looked excellent and very chunky, never saw a NZ made one to compare.
    We have a major woodworking show on soon over here in Harrogate North Yorkshire where the world and his wife are supposed to be displaying their wares although just found out `Jet` not going unfortunately Doh! Maybe some nice deals on ?.

Steve

Loved Harrogate!!!!!

When I was not-quite 16 I was in the high school band and we went to England for 2+ weeks. The main idea was to take part in the annual youth music festival in Harrogate (does it still happen?) and stay in peoples homes around the country (also spent time in Shrewsbury, Cantebury and London via Bromley). Best two weeks of my life! Amazing but at that time it didn't matter how old you were, if you were Canadian (loved how they could tell by our accent), you got served in any pub, and likely didn't have to buy a pint all night.

The only help I can be with your lathe is that I have the Nova and like it a lot. Speed changes are very easy so don't worry about it. I think the idea that the made-in-China version is any different is complete rubbish. All the factories do there is make things to the specifications they are given and any decent company (including Teknatool) will have quality control people on site to make sure.

Take care,
    Steve