Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt Tracksaw first use and pictures

Dewalt Tracksaw first use and pictures

Tracksaw came in today. Started to use it to get the feel of it.

Packaging is standard Dewalt fair. Huge plastic box for the saw with cardboard sleeve and zip tie holding case closed. Guide was in a cardboard box with 1/8" hardboard on the bottom. Packaging was just fine. my saw had a pair of clamps in it as well but that may have been added by Dewalt before shipping the saw to us.

There is a manual in the case and a small color quick start guide zip tied to the saw. The QS guide walks you through setting up the saw (includes mounting on the rail and removing any play while mounted on the track) and making the two zero clearance cuts on the rail edges - one on each side. The QS Guide also explains how to change the blade. I had read the manual online last night so I was familiar with the controls of the saw. If you follow the steps in the QS guide everything makes perfect sense.

I choose some 1/2" Birch Plywood scrap piece for the tests. I first made the cut using just the wood on my laminate table and the guide on that. The guide did not slip but the wood did. I found if I used a router anti-slip mat under the wood it worked great. The rail I have is 59". The work piece was 30" or so. I used strips at the ends of the rail to help support it across my table.

The saw moves on the guide SUPER smooth. You seriously can use this setup with one hand. The plunge action is also perfect. The Saw has variable speed but I have just used the max speeds so far. It cuts perfectly.

The guide is very nice and not flimsy. I also played with the anti-kickback setting - very slick idea. I was even able to make a dado with it. I am very impressed.

I lastly mounted it on the panel rack. Makes a slick table for pieces under 40" wide and 8' long plus. Again supports for the rail make the use very nice.

I will try and get my friends TS55 and do a heads up comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.

More pictures

Also wanted to let everyone know that the inside diameter of the dust port is 1 3/8". I had some adapters and rigged up the shop vac using the hose from my PC 7336 ROS. The dust collection with just my shop vac and that 1 1/4" hose was darn near perfect. Maybe a little leading dust on the cut but very acceptable. Also the saw is MUCH quieter than my full size Dewalt circular saw. It does not scream nearly as much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-09-2008 at 11:17 PM.

I got to take a test run on your saw at IWF, Mike. Very nice set-up for those in need of that type saw. And the price was right in your case.

Sarge..

Where is the Dewalt saw made? Can't find the info on Dewalt's website.

Quote Originally Posted by peter de tappan View Post
    Where is the Dewalt saw made? Can't find the info on Dewalt's website.

He posted this in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Its here boys. It is the corded 520 model.

Saw is made in Czech Republic.
    59" track is real nice and not flimzy at all.
    Plunge action on the saw is SUPER smooth.
    I have already cut the zero clearence edges - saw can cut on both sides without having to flip the track over. Not sure how useful that is to you - but it is a difference from festool I guess.

I will get some pictures tonight.

Looks pretty good from here. I was somewhat curious to see where DW was trying to go with this as in maybe a cheaper option, but looks like it's aimed right straight at the black n green one.
    IIRC the price wasn't far off the black n green one either?

Greg

hmm??? that looks pretty cool mike.

What is the SRP on this thing?

thanks joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

The setup I have has a msrp of $499 I believe. that is the saw and the 59" track. I have heard conflicting numbers on the other kits. Add $149 if you want the 102" track. Even the IWF videos on the web conflict on pricing - from Dewalt staff.

I think having the 59" track and adding a 48" track would be perfect and adding the clamps (mine came with two), right angle accessory bar (may just make one of those), the track case, and an extra blade. We will see what the prices are for the accessories. Need some amazon influence in ALL of this!

Do you think the 59" track could be used to cut Baltich Birch plywood which is 60x60? If the guide came 1" short at either the entry or exit end of the guide (or 1/2" from either end) would the saw still be able to cut the entire sheet?

Nice copy of the Festool system, I can tell you I like the the standard measurements and bright yellow markings versus the metric and black markings on my ATF55. How was the cut quality?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harper View Post
    Do you think the 59" track could be used to cut Baltich Birch plywood which is 60x60? If the guide came 1" short at either the entry or exit end of the guide (or 1/2" from either end) would the saw still be able to cut the entire sheet?
    If it is like Festool, the answer is yes and no. No, if you do not want to move and re-position the guide. You really need some guide rail to hang over each end. Yes, if you don't mind moving slightly. I do this all the time with my ATF, I just align the edge of the guide to the already cut edge on the board. I've never missed and it is just as straight as if I had a longer rail.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I will check it again Scott but I was able to cut the the absolute far end of the track with the blade center reaching the end of the track. Shoe front comes off the track a bit but it was still solidly on and plenty guided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I will check it again Scott but I was able to cut the the absolute far end of the track with the blade center reaching the end of the track. Shoe front comes off the track a bit but it was still solidly on and plenty guided.
    That was me actually. Not a huge deal as I seen the EZ Smart comes in a 64" model now. Had not checked their site in ages so either that's new or I just forgot about it.

looks like a winner...whats the arbor and blade size, can it use standard circular saw blades or does it require proprietary sized ones like the Festool ? I love my EZ smart but have been considering replacing it for depth of cut/dust collection reasons. Standard US style circular saws eat poop when it comes to DC unless you spring for a Hilti, and at that point, for me at least I would go for the Festool, or now this if it compares to the 55/75.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harper View Post
    That was me actually. Not a huge deal as I seen the EZ Smart comes in a 64" model now. Had not checked their site in ages so either that's new or I just forgot about it.
    When making cross cuts it is best to have a bit more rail than wood. Most of us have found that about 8" at each end is best. This is the reason for the 64" EZ rail. I can cross cut a 48" wide sheet with a 50" rail, but I have to be careful.

Burt